Chapter 7: Married Identity

"Anjali beta, I need your help. Can you accompany me to my room?" Her mother-in-law called her. She nodded and put the coriander aside, that she got ready for garnishing. Following her mother-in-law upstairs to her room, she stepped inside as her mom-in-law locked the room. Pulling Anjali beside her and making her sit on the bed, she said, "Beta, this is your house too. You need not behave so formally around. I know a lot of things are new and different here, but you need not be on the receiving end of everything. If you have work, then that should be your priority. I don't want you to think that not helping us in the kitchen means you are neglecting your responsibilities. No. You have a house of your own where you live with Rudr. Even though you might have maids and helpers, you still need to think and make decisions. But you can relax about that here. If you want to relax, just go out or sleep or do whatever you couldn't do this week. Being at this place doesn't make you any different from what you are living in Delhi. Just like Rudr, we understand the stress and pressure of your work. The kitchen is an open place, you can join if you truly want. Not because you are a daughter-in-law here. Okay?"

Anjali opened her mouth to protest in between, but could find nothing. "Ma, I don't know why, but I don't think I do this as an obligation or duty ma. I just find it as a way to interact with you all. But yeah, thank you for clearing this Ma, I think I needed it. I think somewhere deep inside, I feel guilty for separating Rudr from this house and family. I had asked him whether it would be okay for him to shift to Delhi, and he had readily agreed. But I can feel the longingness in him and you guys, every time we leave from here Ma. I don't want to be a person who breaks people's relationships Ma." She voiced out her concerns that were bothering her.

"Beta, I am in fact proud of my son. Yeah, I do miss him and so does this family, but that doesn't mean, you are wrong or you need to feel guilty. Look, your work and his work must be an equal priority and of importance to both of you. I understand how difficult it is to run a company. I have seen my father-in-law and my husband working years together to get us to this position. So, I would never ask you to prove yourself to us or this family. You are an equal to Rudr for me. Both of you are my kids and as a mom, I want both of you to be treated equally. When you come to Mumbai, take Rudr to your house too. He also needs to know how to survive in his in-laws house!" She teased making Anjali chuckle. "In all seriousness beta, focus on yourself and your relationships. I have heard that you cook exceptionally well and that my son has a hard time saying no to your food. He complained about spending extra time in the gym so that he could match your elegance and beauty." Heat rose to Anjali's cheeks, making her shy away from her mother-in-law. "Relax when you come to me. I want you well fed and rested. Spend time with Pari, have fun with her, go shopping and spa. Ved admires you a lot, so he definitely looks forward to spending time with his bhabhi and complain about his bhai. Rudr and you can go to Goa or Lonavala or whatever place you want to get some time alone. You guys also need time to build your relationship right? In Delhi, both of you are busy with your work. Take that time off here for yourselves. Take time for your family and friends. Don't worry or fret about not being involved in cooking, cleaning and administration and all. We are here for all of that." She assured Anjali, seeing her expressions change from concern to relief.

"I'll keep this in my mind Ma. Though this would be a foolish statement, I do wish to make you guys happy and proud by being your daughter-in-law Ma. I don't want to give you guys an opportunity to complain or feel bad about. After all, I am an outsider here Ma." Anjali said, making her mom-in-law, Parvati smile, hearing her innocent yet honest words.

"If this is your doubt and concern, then let me tell you something that my mother-in-law told me when I became the first daughter-in-law of the family. We may continue to be here for the next, say, twenty thirty years, as your mother-in-law and everything, but by then a lot of things would have changed. We would no longer be the ones who we are today. You would have kids and their responsibilities would be on your head. You may even take charge of the entire house, because we would have finally retired from everything. Our health and happiness would become yours to take care of. Then, you will be the person taking care of everything. Not us. So it's in your hands to decide how you will work for this family and take care of it. Also, being the eldest daughter-in-law of the family, you will be a very important person. So it's important for you to figure out your way of loving us, caring for us and prioritizing things. And yeah, as a woman I am telling you, take time for yourself because taking care of yourself is the only way you shall be selfless. And that includes your dressing styles with us, choose comfort over criticism. Everyone's not you. They won't have a husband like Rudr or a company like Vaahan. So don't worry about anything. You are a daughter for us first then a daughter-in-law. So your health, happiness and satisfaction is an important factor and a priority for all of us. Shankar was worried the other day seeing you so tensed up in the family. Nobody shall concern about these petty matters and if anything, we shall stand by you always. Relax beta. And yeah, Rudr wanted to take you out today, so get ready casually for your husband and yourself. Dinner is only for us. We shall enjoy the dinner made by you while you enjoy your time out with your hubby." Parvati patted her cheeks affectionately, making Anjali smile shyly.

As they walked towards the door, Anjali called out, "Ma!" Parvati turned to see her embracing her in a tight hug. She reciprocated the same by hugging her with the same fervor and kissing her cheek as they pulled away.

"But this doesn't mean I am not a strict mother-in-law, okay? Yeah, I have a reputation to maintain." She said in a fake stern voice making Anjali giggle.

"Sure Ma." They chuckled as they headed out to finish their work.

Anjali headed to their room only to see Rudr getting dressed. She quickly walked into the closet making Rudr wonder if she was angry or excited. She was out in fifteen minutes dressed in a white tee and black cargo. Rudr was seated on the bed, looking at his phone, and he could see her applying her eyeliner and face cream. She looked at him after she was done and he ushered her outside. They walked to his car, with her sitting on the passenger side white Rudr drove them to their destination.

"Are you okay?" He asked, breaking the silence that filled the car. She just hummed in response, making Rudr frown. He thought for a moment before he abruptly pulled the car on to the left making her jerk in her seat. She looked at him to give him a sound hearing only to find him looking faraway, with his knuckles turning white with his grip on the steering wheel.

She placed her hand on his, making him react in surprise. "What happened?" She asked, softly.

"What happened? What happened? I can ask you the same. You seem off this evening ever since you were with mom. Did she tell you anything? Is anything bothering you? Did I do something wrong? Did you have some other plans for the evening and did I–" He was abruptly cut off by Anjali who placed her palm over his mouth.

"Nothing's wrong and stop worrying. I am good and no, Ma did not tell me anything. I was just thinking. And that gave off a very wrong vibe. I also had no other plans for the evening except having dinner at home." She said, assuring him.

"Still, there is something bothering you." He insisted, wondering what she was so worked up about.

Anjali turned towards him, cupping his cheeks, "I am great. And about what I am thinking, I'll let you know while we have our dinner. Now will you drive, because I am hungry." She said, sitting back normally into her seat. Rudr sighed, hiding the smile that was threatening to break on his face. She was comfortable with him and he couldn't ask for more.

**********

Gonna use this scheduling feature extensively on Wattpad. 

I need your guidance out there to do well on Wattpad too. I shall be a great student for the teachers in you. Feed me back your feedback and we shall be soar even higher.