Chapter 24: A Clue

Rudra and Anjali joined Ved in the dining room. He was lost in his phone, tying away in his laptop simultaneously that he didn't even know when they had come. Rudra knocked the table before making him snap his head in shock. He quickly shut his laptop seeing them making Anjali widen her eyes while Rudra frowned at him. Ved patted his chest, calming his racing heart before he spoke.

"What are you trying to do? I might get a heart attack!" He exclaimed dramatically. Rudra raised his eyebrows in wonder what it was up to him. "How are you feeling bhabhi? Want to have breakfast?" Ved added seeing gears turning in his brother's head. The house helps arranged food in front of Anjali and Rudra. Since Ved had his breakfast he asked for a glass of juice.

"I am good, Ved. What are you doing here? When did you come here?" she asked, her voice stern towards the end. He looked at his brother who was busy serving himself and his wife.

Ved sighed and spoke. "I came yesterday night bhabhi, almost 5 hours after you guys landed here. Before you tell me something, I was very worried bhabhi. I am sorry." His voice was remorseful towards the end.

"Ved, you can't be impulsive like this. This is unfair. Does everyone back there know that you are here?" She asked, her facing turning into a worry. Rudra and Ved looked at each other before Ved spoke first.

"Bhabhi, you are truly a blessing for our family and us bhabhi. Everyone knows that I am here. I wish this had not happened, but I wanted to ask you something bhabhi. Bhaiya, you too. So a friend of mine told me that your account was forced to be activated without our knowledge. It was done by an employee in our company. He is actually in the accounts department. He was bribed by someone to do this. Since he had partial access to the company's finances, he could allow some outsider to access our inside information and allow them to transfer the money. It was framed as if it was you who had transferred the amount to your account." Ved spoke looking at both of them. He paused looking at their expressions. Their faces that turned from surprise to something akin to anger. Ved waited silently not knowing what to tell worried it might add unnecessary stress on them, especially his bhabhi.

"Who bribed him to do this?" Rudra asked, his grip tightening on his spoon. He looked at Anjali whose face was quite unreadable. He placed his pam on her thigh bringing her out of her thoughts. She shook her and focused on her plate before she looked up and spoke.

"What instigated your mother and brother so much?" She asked her question, taking both the brothers off guard. Rudra looked at Ved who seemed to know the answer for this question. Ved slowly unlocked his phone and placed it in front of them, showing them what his friend had sent.

"Dev and Ma had received photos of us bhabhi. I don't know who took them, but in every pic, it is made to look as if it was just us. Remember this picture bhabhi," He said, moving to the third picture which was a picture of them hi-fiving each other, which to anyone would have looked like them being close. But the reality was far from being different. "We had successfully convinced bhai to become our attender and asked him to make us two pasta bowls, after we told him what we particularly wanted." Ved had a smile as if remembering that moment when the three of them had gone out for dinner. Ved had come for a visit and they had gone out to spend some time. Rudra and Anjali nodded, but Anjali couldn't help but feel angry at whoever had done this. They had been successful in driving a wedge between her and her family. Luckily this news was stubbed before the public could get a waft of it, else her family would have been burning every corner of the world to prove her right. Her dad would have torn everything down and maybe even broken her relationship with Rudra to save her.

"None of these pics are what they seemed to have made them to be. Why am I cropped or removed from most of these pictures? I was with you guys all the time these pictures are made of. I remember this one where we went to Mrs. Sharma's art gallery opening. I was with both of you all the time. Why am I not in the picture?" He asked, confusion and revenge coursing his veins. "Who had bribed the accountant?" He asked, looking at Ved.

"I have asked Manish to look into it. He said it was a private number and the signal kept bouncing, so we couldn't trace any of it. He also has an eye on this accountant. I—I have asked them not to fire him as it would create unnecessary suspicions bhai. I–I am sorry–" Ved replied.

"No need to be. That's okay. I just hope I find this person safe and sound. He has to pay the cost of messing with me." Anjali said, cutting Ved abruptly, shocking him. She looked at his expression being so choked and smiled. " I can't help Ved, I am afraid he might cost us more. And I don't want any of you to be his target. His damage is already deep and I don't want more. Rudra chuckled.

"No one, I mean no one can touch you. You are my wife, he has to go through me and I am sure enough hell is waiting for him." Rudra said, his voice full of fury and determination. Ved nodded his head.

"I think you should rest, bhabhi. I shall update you once I get any information on him." Ved said, getting up from his chair and headed to his room. Rudra and Anjali looked at him walking away and then looked at each other.

"He is so protective of us." Anjali whispered as Rudra pulled her close. He hummed as he kissed her forehead before they retired to their room.

**********

Merry Christmas everyone. 

We shall be stepping into a new year in a week. I am being a ball of nerves knowing this.

Wohoo.

Luv and Luck.

<3333