Ch 12: Human Touch

Raven pov:

I jotted down my notes as I worked, listening to music while working on the body in front of me. A hand on my shoulder pulled my attention to Charles and his kind smile.

"End of your shift, kid." He chuckled and took the clipboard from me. I took my headphones out and pocketed them.

"Finally! I'm ready to go home and chill out." I yawned and stretched. The door to the room opened and showed Valarie walking in with Jake chasing after her.

"I'm here to grab you, Raven." She didn't like saying my name but she did out of respect for me.

"S-Sorry, she's so fast." Jake panted, catching his breath from running after her. I waved him off and took my coat off.

"What happened to Ezra?" Charles whispered in my ear. I flinched a little but answered him anyway.

"She's on vacation right now. Valarie's been hanging out with me till she's back I guess." It's been about 2 weeks since I last saw Ezra and I was a little heartbroken to say the least. I missed her.

"I don't hang out with… nevermind." Valarie stopped herself, a scowl still on her face. Charles chuckled and moved closer to greet the woman.

They had a weird staring contest and mumbled things to each other while I secured my bag onto my shoulder. Seeing them give each other a weird look I grabbed Valarie and dragged her with me. We went upstairs to the precinct and out to my car. Getting in I buckled up and started the car, taking off soon after.

"You are aware you're working with a werewolf right?" I hit the brakes hard and stopped in the middle of the road. Looking over at her I had my mouth wide open.

"CHARLES?!" I screamed in joy, more than impressed he hid it well.

"Duh, he reeks of dog." She scoffed at me. Did Ezra know? How come I didn't know?

"You're not joking are you?"

"I don't joke."

"How can you tell and not Ezra?" I scrutinized her, narrowing my eyes on her.

"Probably because he's masking it really well. I only know because he threatened me when he greeted me." I lifted a brow, confused on why he would threaten her. He's a nice and calm guy, harmless even.

"Why'd he threaten you?"

"Because of you. He said if I hurt you he'll rip my throat out with his teeth." I smiled a little at the idea that Charles would protect me like that but I felt bad for Valarie. She didn't seem to care though. She smiled in fact.

"You're not gonna fight him are you?" She scoffed and rolled her eyes at me.

"No, I'd rather not kill a stupid wolf. I'm enjoying my peace with Ezra gone." I frowned and stayed quiet the rest of the ride.

I'm glad she was enjoying Ezra's absence but I wasn't. I missed her a lot. She grew on me pretty quickly and things got boring without her. When we got home I went to drop my things off while Valarie made her way to the living room. I made quick work on cooking a simple dinner of chicken and rice, giving a small portion to the vampiric woman.

We ate and did our own things. She read while I went on my blog and posted some stuff about Vampires and Werewolves. I lost focus when a knock on my door pulled my attention. Getting up I go to answer it and see a weird guy standing there.