Ch 1: New Town

Raven pov:

"Over here!" A mountain of boxes moves over to me, a man holding them sets them right where I pointed.

"Damn Ray, these are heavy." The man groans, popping his back to relieve some tension.

"It's the last of it though." Patting him on the back I move towards my new kitchen.

"Yeah well you owe me a beer." He follows me, sitting himself on my porch in a chair. Grabbing two beers I go to him and take the seat next to him, handing the beer over.

"Stop whining, you get to go home to a clean house." He laughs and nods, taking a sip from his drink.

"That's if Jojo didn't tear any of my shit up while I'm gone." He's talking about his little pit bull. We sit and watch the sun start to set before Dre takes his leave.

"I'll see you soon Ray." He hugs me and pats my back as he pulls out of the embrace.

"See ya Dre." I watch him till he gets into his car and drives off. Going back in I shut and lock the door.

I move around the house slowly, putting things in their respective spots for the home. The furniture was brought in yesterday along with the big essentials so all that's left is minor things.

My house is quickly filled with books, plants, candles, and plenty of personal belongings. After organizing another bookshelf, I admired the completed living room. I went room to room and filled them with items till it was the dead of night.

Calling it good I grab a book and head off to my room, dressing down and doing my night routine before bed. I huddle up with my favorite book, my imagination and curiosity running wild.

Folklore, Mythology, Supernatural, I loved it all. So many things we think of as make believe are things I think could be real. Many cases and conspiracy theories prove to show I'm right. At least to me that is.

A lot of people think I'm crazy or weird because I think it's possible for Gnomes and wizards to be real. Most people besides Dre think that, although we've been friends since diapers so I don't know if it counts. He's the one who dragged me out here to live near him.

I have to thank him though. This town is full of conspiracy theories, unsolved cases, and strange things. I found a job at the Sheriff station as a forensic scientist, they need help on finding the killer to a ongoing cases in the town.

I take in the same pictures and information like I have a thousand times before. The tales and stories behind the creatures littering my book. It soothed me in some weird sense, to think of monsters before going to bed is weird to most but I find it relaxing.

_____________

My alarm blaring wakes me from my sleep, getting up groggily I move to the bathroom to go through my routine. Coming out in a towel I grab clothes from my closet to dress in for the day. Jeans, boots, and a black turtleneck is the quick choice I throw together.

Getting dressed I brush my hair and rush downstairs to throw some Pop Tarts in the toaster. With my hair easy to manage I pull it into a small ponytail and let some strands of hair stand out on my face. Grabbing the ready food I find my bag on the couch and toss it over my shoulder.

Finally grabbing my lunch and water bottle I head out, taking my car through the town. It's pretty rural, not even 4,000 people live in the town. Most people were quiet and kind, the community was pretty well brought together too.