Chapter 44 - Shotgun

[Y/n's pov]
I'm looking at everyone, and no one in particular. Jorge comes really close, as my eyes focus on him, watching him as he tries to tell me something, my ears not catching a single word. I blink couple of times, trying to get back to my senses, as I can finally find some words.
"Sorry?" I say, looking at Jorge puzzled, as I start to notice everyone else in the room, all the noises in the room running slowly at me, as it goes from low to high volume.
"I said get ready hermanita, we're leaving soon. Like, few minutes soon." Jorge repeated his sentence.
"Yeah, right, on it." I said, even though the words he said didn't make any sense to me. I try to concentrate so much, to come up with what's happening, as my thoughts are still racing around in my mind. Leaving, right, we need to find the right arm. With this I got up, dusted off my trousers and looked around, if I need to do anything, but there was nothing to do. I was just standing there, watching people move around. I gotta talk with Newt later on today. There is no way we don't talk today, right?
Jorge nudged me, as everyone was slowly going out of the room. I smiled at him, as he grabbed my shoulder, and waited for everyone to get out.
"Are you okay (y/n)? You seem lost in your thoughts today." he asked me, genuine concern in his voice. Warm feeling washed over me, as I felt so safe with Jorge at this moment, nothing could hurt me, as long as Jorge stayed by my side.
"Yeah, no, I don't know. I am thinking about like, what you told me, and what Newt told me after that drink, and how he acted.." I said, frowning a little, trying to think of way to say everything to Jorge, without saying everything.
"Did he hurt you hija?" was first thing Jorge asked, looking at me, his gaze soft, but I could see the flames behind his eyes, ready to yell at whoever would hurt me. Yet still one word caught my attention.
"No, he didn't, it was just.. odd. So odd, i dunno, I have to talk to him about it." I said smiling, watching as he relaxed with knowing no one hurt me. "Hija?" I started watching him, as he turned away from me. "What does this word mean?" I asked , wanting to know. I heard him use some words I don't understand, but I have never heard him use this one.
"Oh, it doesn't matter. Come on, we gotta bounce." he said already next to the door. I smiled, knowing he would call me any mean names, and just didn't want to tell me, what he just called me, and rushed after him out the door, and outside the building.
Others were already waiting outside by a car.
"I'm calling shotgun." said Newt as soon as Jorge came closer. Jorge shot me a look, and I just smiled at him.
"You okay?" asked Minho standing next to me.
"Yeah, I think so." I said, watching as everyone got inside the car, waiting for us. "Has Newt talked to you about.. anything?" I asked, a little hesitant, as we started walking towards the car.
"No, I don't think so, but you both seem a bit off, is everything alright?" he said, as he helped me get inside the trunk, before climbing in himself. We sat on the floor, as I looked at the shotgun, seeing Newt sitting there, looking straight at us. The moment our eyes met, he turned away.
"I don't know." I said, sounding more sad than intended. I just rested my head on the side of the car, and as we started moving through the desert, I fell asleep.
We stopped couple of times, but I didn't care enough to open my eyes. At one point I know Minho disappeared from my side, and someone sat back down. But soon I felt asleep again.
"Guys, get up, we gotta go by feet from now on." sounded Jorge's voice. I felt still sleepy, and my eyelids were heavy. But I also felt my head being rest on a shoulder, and a hand on my thigh, the thumb drawing little circles. I sat up straight, looking around. And soon the hand disappeared, even though it was most certainly Newt, who was sitting right beside me. We were in some kind of canyon, or more like on a round around it, but there were so many cars around, that there was no possible way of getting through in one.
"You okay?" I asked, looking at him, as we scrambled out of the car.
"Yeah, fine, nervous a little." he answered smiling at me softly. I smiled back, offering him my hand to hold. He gladly took it.
Jorge was first to make a few steps, but as soon as he moved further down the road, we heard a swift swoosh around us. It was followed by another one, and other swooshes follows, making really loud bangs as they met their targets. They were very actively shooting at us.
"Take cover!" yelled Jorge running behind a car, being followed by Thomas, as everyone else scattered behind all the other cars. I couldn't move, being frozen to one place, watching as everyone hid. Before realizing what was happening, Newt jumped on top of me, knocking me down to the ground, right behind a car. I felt pain shoot up in my head, as I hit it hard on the rock floor.
"Are you okay?" Newt asked, his eyes scanning my face with concern.
"Yeah, I'm fine." I said, as he was still on top of me, rubbing my head. He moved quickly away.
"When I count to 3, you all have to run to the car!" Jorge yelled over the bullets that were still raining on us. No one really responded, but we all understood the assignment. Without even realizing I grabbed Newt's hand, I just needed to hold his hand, to know he's here with me, and that if I run, he will run with me, even more after he promised to stay with me, no matter what. He didn't waste a second to lace his fingers in between mine, squeezing my hand slightly.
"One," sounded Jorge's voice through the canyon. No one really noticed the fact there were no bullets fired at us. We all just listened to Jorge, awaiting his other words, readying ourselves for another run for our lives.
"Two," sounded Jorge's voice again, my anxiety raising as I squeezed Newt's hand tighter, readying myself for yet another run, that I was not ready for. The journey we made so far, and we can't get through here to the mountain people.
"Put that down!" sounded new voice, I have never heard it before, and as I looked up, there was gun pointing straight onto my face, as we got surrounded.