Chapter 28 - It's a Girl

[Y/n's pov.]

After a while, when the Glade fall with its excitement about nigh survivors, I finally got to them, hugging them, before leading both of them to Med-hut. When Newt got to Minho I watched him hug Minho tightly, Minho hugging him the same way. Their brotherly love was visible just by this hug.

I was with Thomas, treating his wounds, when Chuck rushed in.
,,What's wrong Chuckie?" I asked, as I geard him catching breath, while still focusing on my work. Thomas hissed slightly, as I covered his wound with alcohol soaked towel.
,,Gally wants to have Gathering. Like, right now." said Chuck, his breathing stable now.
,,Good that. Will be there any minute. Gotta make sure Tom-"
,,He's supposed to be part of it." Chuck cut me off. I stood up straight, frowning and finally looking at Chuck.
,,And Newt approved?"
,,Yeah, because Thomas broke the rules."
,,Yeah that's true, he did."
,,Hey! I'm still here, sis." Thomas words snapped me out of my conversation with Chuck. I rolled them over in my mind.
,,What did you call me?" I asked, smile spreading across my face.
,,I called you sis. You are my sister, aren't you? You said it yourself." he looked at me worriedly, that he messed up something. My smile was huge, and I felt strange warm inside me.
,,I am. Come on Tom. We need to attend a Gathering." I said, still smiling, Chuck disappearing.

We got there and I looked around. We were the last to arrive.
,,Sorry Newt, Gally." I said, heading to my Keeper chair. Newt watched me, but didn't say a thing. Gally was murdering Thomas with his gaze.
,,So, let's skip the formal stuff. We all know why we are here." started Newt, in between him and Gally was empty place, meant for Alby.
,,Thomas broke the rules." spat Gally, crunching his nose.
,,That's true." said one of the Keepers I didn't know by name.
,,He ran into the Maze, that is huge." said Winston.
,,He also saved Alby." I said. Gally looked at me, and I felt the hatred from his gaze.
,,You said it yourself he's your brother! Of course you will be on his side." said Gally rudely. I let out a soft gasp.
,,Ouch Gally." I said, my face hardening into unreadable expression.
,,She's right tho." said Fry.
,,Look, first Ben got stung in day, then Alby, now our Greenie just runs into the maze. That's clear violation of our rules! Three years! Three years we live with these things in coexistence and now you killed one of them!" Gally continued in his monolog.
,,What do you suggest we do?" said Newt coldly.
,,He should be punished. I say let's throw him into pit." said Gally. The Gathering place exploding with voices.
,,Hold up!" ,,You can't do that!" ,,Only pit? Let's banish him." all talking one over other.
,,Shut up!" yelled Newt, and I froze, my eyes widening, turning to look at the sweet boy, I would do everything for, who looked like capable of killing now. He pressed two fingers to his temples, massaging it for a while, before scratching his forehead, closing his eyes. Everyone in the room watched him, while holding their breath. He turned to Minho.
,,Minho, you were there with him. What do you think?" he asked, this time calmly.
,,Well, all the time we've been here, no one's ever killed a Griever before. I think, when I turned tail and ran, this dumb shank stayed behind and helped Alby. Like, I dunno, if he's brave or stupid, but whatever it is, we need more of it. I say we make him a runner." said Mino, and the room exploded with voices again. Some were cheering, some arguing.
,,Shut up!" sounded Newt again.
,,Look, if you wanna throw Greenie a parade, so be it. But one thing's for sure you don't-" Gally wasn't able to finish, as familiar sound of a Box siren sounded through the whole Glade. Newt who was leaning against the main pillar of the Gathering room, narrowed his eyes, stood straight, looking alarmed like everyone expect Thomas. Then my and Newt's eyes met, as he and Gally ran out. I followed, right at Newt's heels. Every single Gladers came to the Box. I heard Thomas talking, but didn't catch a single thing he said. Newt and Gally already opened the heavy metal door, as everyone else ran to them, standing around. Thomas pushed through the crowd, standing next to me.
,,Newt, what do you see?" asked Fry, as Newt was down there.
,,It's a girl." he said slowly, looking up, his accent hitting my heart like a knife. All the guys gasped and backed off. I looked around, did they forgot I am a girl too?
,,Is she dead?"
,,She doesn't look much alive."
,,I think she's dead."
,,But she's hot tho."
,,Yeah right?"
,,What's she holding?" Gally asked, as Newt sit on his heals, touching the other girls hand. She was beautiful. The moment Newt's fingers brushes against her's, I felt a strange feeling I never felt. Newt unfolded the paper she was holding, reading the words out loud.
,,She's the last one. Ever." he read, looking up at us again. ,,What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Newt asked, his eyes quickly moving from one boy to another. Then a loud gasp sounded behind him, as he backed away from the girl.
,,Thomas!" she gasped, her eyes blinking into the sun, her dark hair falling around her shoulders as she rose her head, before her eyes fell back and her head fell to ground again.
Every eyes were now on Thomas, who looked as confused as everyone.