Dosai and chutney

Sivaangi was sprawled on the couch, finishing up a bowl of her favourite potato chips. She was binge watching her favourite Korean Romantic show on Netflix. She was living her life. This is what she had yearned for, the entire house for herself. No one to yell at her or to change the channel. No background noises. It was peaceful. She smiled a sighed in happiness. Just when Hyun Bin was about to lock lips with Son Ye-Jin, the door bell rang and Sivaangi rolled her eyes, "pchhh.... Neram kaalam theriyama yaaru da idhu?" She paused the TV when the bell rang a second time. She yelled, "Varen varen" throwing the cushion which had happily occupied her lap, to the chair on the left of the couch and dragged herself to the door.

She tip toed to take a peek through the peep hole and smiled. She quickly opened a door beaming, "Hiii, vaa vaa Ashwiney. Nee mall ku poirukka nu nenachen? Adhu kulla thorathi vitaangala?" He ignored her comment and gave her a quick glance, "Enna Maa nee? Ippo thaan bed lerndhe ezhundhukariya?" Sivaangi looked at herself. She was still in her night dress, her hair tied up in a bun. He stretched his hand to pick the piece of chips stuck to her chin, "Hmmm.... Potato chips aa? Trainer kitta pottu kudukattuma?" Sivaangi entwined her fingers with his and led his towards the couch whining, "Ayyo Ashwiney neeyum ennoda Amma madiri behave pannadhe. Avanga irukkum podhu thaan summa kathikitte irupaanga Sivu kulichittu vaa, Sivu velakethu, Sivu idhu pannu adhu pannu nu. Naane ippo thaan nimmadhiya, disturbance illama Hyun Bin a sight aduchikittu irukken. Adhu puriyama Neenga vera." Ashwin's eyes widened, "Ennadhu sight adikkariya?" he said, sitting on the couch beside her. She smiled and pinched his cheek saying, "Aama adhu Chumma sight Ashwiney. Nee DP ya sight adikkara madiri." Then she pulled herself close to him and said, "Nee special Ashwineyyy" and he immediately blushed.

He quickly cleared his throat and asked, "Seri chips a thavira vera edhavudhu saaptiya maa?" She smiled and nodded, "Haan saapten, thayir sadam um vadu maangavum saapten. Inniki ennoda cheat day so enakku pudichadhellam saapda poren." He nodded in disbelief and mumbled, "Ennamo pannu." She squinted her eyes and looked up at him saying, "Ama store opening eppidi pochu? Andha bag la enna? Shirt vaangineengala?" She quickly peeked into the bag while Ashwin answered, "Ellam nalla padiya mudinjuchu maa. Idhu avanga kuduthaanga gift." Before he could speak any further Sivaangi laughed looking at the shirt and said, "Enna Ashwin idhu? Nallave illai. Uncle madiri oru shirt kuduthirukaanga?" She looked at his face and realized he was insulted by her comment because he was pouting. She immediately said, "Illai appidi solla varale. Nalla thaan irukku but namba innoru naaliki poi idhu exchange panni super aa onnu select pannalaam ok va? Unakku edhu potaalum semmaya irukkum Ashwiney." That immediately brought the smile back to his face.

He then looked at her sadly and said, "Maa naan unkitta ketta madiri nee kekka maatiya?" She looked at him confused and said, "Enna kekkanum?" He made a puppy face and said, "Naan saaptena nu kekka maatiya?" Her eyes widened and she smacked her head with her hands, "Ayayo Neenga innum saapadliya?" He nodded saying, "Inge vandhu un kooda saapadlaam nu nenachen. Un kaiyala nee ooti viduve nu nenachen." The motherly instinct in her immediately felt sorry for him, "iru Ashwiney unakku Suda Suda dosa vaathu tharen. Unga amma kittendhu thakkali chutney kathunden aana thakkali irukkara velaiku Ungalukku inniki thenga chutney thaan. 10 mins la ready pannaren. Neenga venumna inge ukkandhu TV paakareengala?" she handed over the remote to him, standing up. He placed the remote on the center table and stood up smiling. He quickly picked her up and said, "Naanum kitchen ku vandhu konjam romance pannaren." She giggled and wrapped her arms around his neck while he carried her to the kitchen.

Soon they were feeding each other white, crispy, ghee roast with coconut chutney and Hyun Bin was the last thing in her mind.

Brinda Subramanian