Adipoli Onam

Sivaangi's words were haunting Ashwin and he sat up in bed. She had sulked, "Enna Ashwin idhu ippidiye pogudhu? Naan free ya irukkum podhu Neenga busy. Neenga freeya irukkum podhu naan busy. Chennai la mask, cap podama freeya engeyume poga mudila. I want to spend some chill time with you before marriage. Last year Diwali ku ella cousins kooda semmaya Bangalore trip plan panniyum last minute la Sembi audio launch work naala ungalaala vara mudila. Che..." she had said.

Sivaangi had been busy with CWC since the beginning of the year and with training, about 2 months prior to that. After CWC, it had been a concert here and there, music video releases for both of them etc. There meetings had mostly been over FaceTime or a quick drive to the ice cream shop or beach. The young lovers yearned to spend time together and their impending wedding was only making them miss each other more. Sivaangi was leaving for Srilanka the following day and he to CBE for his cousin's wedding. Ashwin sat in the bed thinking. He had an idea. Watch said 5am. He thought for a moment and sent a message, "ping me when you wake up. I have an idea." In less then a minute his phone pinged, "I am up. Sollunga maappillai."

Ashwin called, "Hello Nandu. Sorry romba early ya call panittena?" Nandu chettan, Sivaangi's brother answered stretching, "Eiii angana... sorry appidi onnum illai. Neenga sollunga." Ashwin cleared his throat and said, "Nandu I was to plan a surprise for Sivaangi. Indha Onam thaan avalukku kalyanathukku munnadi ulla last Onam nu theriyum so I want to make it special for her. It has to be a surprise though." Nandu and Ashwin planned the entire thing. After making a few more phone calls and making some more arrangements to make the surprise even more special, he hung up the phone smiling with satisfaction. He then headed out to the gym and the got ready to leave. The next couple of days were busy for him with the wedding. Sivaangi had helped him pick his outfits for his cousins wedding. They had decided to continue giving clues to the fans to keep them excited as well.

Sivaangi had an amazing concert and she returned to Chennai believing that she was going to be in town for Onam. She knew that Ashwin was going to release the pink shirt pics on Tuesday so she posted her Rani pink saree reel for Jhumka song, on Sunday. Once Ashwin released his pics, the fans were excited. She had a shoot for Super singer the following day. She attended the mehandi celebration for her Eniyan Anna on Friday and her temple visit. Ashwin release his maroon outfit pics styled by Anusha, on that day, giving some more clues to the fan. The special surprise began the following day.

Sivaangi was woken up by her dad with flight tickets to Kerala. He told her that she was going to fly alone that same night. She squealed in excitement. She had never traveled alone was was thrilled that not only was she flying alone but it was a night flight, reaching Kochi at almost midnight. It was too good to be true. Her dad dropped her off at the airport and waved her good bye. This was odd but she was too excited to give it much thought. After passing through security, Sivaangi reached the first class lounge and smiled looked at Ashwin's story to her Instagram story. She giggled and muttered, "Enna Ashwiney eppovum naan oorukku pogum podhu soga paatu paaduveenga? Indha vaati jolly paatu podareenga ennamo en koodave vara madiri." She posted at reply story immediately. She found a spot in the lounge and settled down but in a couple of mins, her eyes widened to see a pair of familiar eyes looking at her. She opened her mouth saying, "Ashwineyy Neenga enga inge?" He placed his finger on his lips saying, "Shhhh.... Surprise." Sivaangi's face lit up and he clicked.

They landed at Kochi airport and she was surprised to see both her periamma as well as cousin brother there to receive them. Her Periamma quickly hugged her and then promptly welcomed him saying, "Vango Maapilliai." Sivaangi gasped, "Valiya ammaiku engana ariyum ivar varunadha? (How did you know he was coming?)". Sivaangi knew that this was the only reason for her aunt to come along with her cousin to the airport at this hour, when, techinically, she should be in bed but neither periamma not her cousin said anything except, "Shhhh.... Surprise." Sivaangi's face lit up and he clicked.

Sivaangi was now starting to get really excited. Something was up and she enjoyed the slow revelation but the went home and decided to rest. The following morning, Sivaangi was woken up by the sound of a huge party. All her cousins, other periamma and family, uncle and family etc had arrived. Everyone from the youngest to the oldest were there. Sivaangi screamed in excitement seeing them all. Her eyes were searching for Ashwin but her cousins were hugging her and twirling her. What surprised her ever more was to see her brother Vinayak with them. She looked at his wide eyed and said, "Dei nee eppidi da inge vandhe? Enna dhaan nadakardhu?" They all said, "Shhhh... surprise" and one pair of eyes was just clicking.

Devi held Sivu's hands and said, "ok now quickly get ready. We are all going away for the weekend." Sivaangi nodded. She could not believe what was happening but she noticed the guys charging towards Ashwin to pick him up saying, "Mapillaiiii" which made her laugh but she was quickly distracted by her little niece saying, "Chitha vaa vaa namakku Tata povaam". The entire family, four car full of people were heading out to a special place. Sivaangi asked them to do their special hoot after which she asked Nandu chettan where they were up to and he said, "Shhhh.... Surprise." She jumped in excitement and he clicked.

It was a beautiful resort. Although Sivaangi loved water, she never learnt how to swim but her family took her into the water and she had a blast while he kept clicking every special moment. The had a picnic and finished the evening in a borne fire where she danced in joy and he clicked. He made sure the camera followed her every where because she was enjoying every little moment and he was clicking her every moment. It was a fun filled weekend at the resort with music, dance, laughter and games. Every moment someone or the other said, "Shhhh... surprise" and he kept clicking.

Finally they all returned to their ancestral home for Onam. Sivaangi woke up to the hustle bustle around the house. Her parents had arrived early in the morning. Everyone had showered and were in their special Onam attire. The men were busy decorating the house. The elder ladies were busy in the kitchen cooking while the uncles were helping then cut vegetables, grate coconut etc. Nandu chettan's wife Chithira, came up to a Sivu saying, "Sivu ezhundiru maa. Seekirama poi kuli. Indha Pudhu dress. Naan vandhu unakku katti vidaren." Sivu nodded and quickly went to freshen up. Chithira and Devi promptly came up to help Sivaangi wear her purple blouse and the off white Onam saree. They tied her hair loosely and adorned it with jasmine. They eyeliner accentuated her doe eyes and the kutty purple bindi added to her exquisite beauty. The slight sandal tikka finished the look. She looked at her self in the mirror and then asked Devi, "Avaruuu..." Devi said, "Shhhhh..... surprise."

Sivaangi's periamma came just then gesturing the girls to come and decorate the poo kolam. As Sivaangi walked out she noticed her entire family there but her eyes were searching for one familiar eyes. As she stepped out she saw him bent over the poo kolam in a purple shirt and brand new veshti. His parents and sisters family were right there too. His sister smiled and said, "Surprise". He looked up and smiled at her. He had the chandanam on his forehead but he still kneeling down. He pointed his finger at the poo kolam and that is when she saw what it said, "Will you marry me?" This was Ashwin's 100th proposal to Sivaangi so it was very special.

Sivaangi's eyes were filled will happy tears. She ran towards him saying, "Yes Yes." He held her hand and took her to the beautifully decorated swing on the back yard. Both of them sat there while both sets of parents handed them each a ring. They quickly slid it into each others fingers while he whispered, "Surprise pudichirundhudha?" She blushed and said, "Neenga KD nu theriyum aana ivvalo periya KD ya?" He giggled saying, "Not without the help of your KD family."

That's how they were engaged. Shhhh.... Surprise.....click.

Brinda Subramanian

Makkaley idhu oru karpanai kadhai mattume. This is very much fictional. Hope you enjoy.