Soulmates

The end of an era! That's how she felt. Her world has shattered. It seemed like everything around her had come to a pregnant pause. She just stood there with trembling hands, her phone still close to her ears. Sakthi was on the other end, "Sivaangi naan sonnadhu kettucha? Naan Unna pick up panna varattuma? Hello hello irukkiya." She quickly held herself together and managed to respond, "Haan...illl...illlai....illai Naane...Naane varen da. Call pannadhukku romba thanks" and she hung up the phone, which slipped out of her hand to fall on the bed next to her.

She could not believe her ears. Her heart felt heavy yet not a drop of tears from her eyes. Flashes of the young 30 year old AK appeared right before her eyes. His shy yet cute "Ayayo", his blushing smile to her cheesy pick up lines, the pride in his eyes for her every time she sang. How could she forget those moments, those beautiful memories. She suddenly realized that she needed to take a breath. Her throat felt immensely dry. With shaking hands, she grabbed the bottle of water and gulped it down her throat. Just then she heard the bathroom door open and her husband, Vikram walked out. His face turned pale looking at Sivaangi. He walked up close to her and touched her shoulder. She looked up at him and said, "AK is no more" and slowly walked towards the entrance of their house to wear her chappal. Vikram quickly changed and grabbed his keys.

Sivaangi looked out the window into nothingness. She recalled her first meeting with AK at the sets of cook with comali. He was this handsome 29 year old shy, introvert. There was something about his eyes that attracted her immediately. There was a familiarity about him, like she had known him from before, yet this was the first time she saw him. They paired up totally 10 times and their chemistry was like a forest fire. They understood each other like married couple. There was a bond neither  of them were able to explain. They were always the first ones to like and comment on each other's post. They were very close even after the show ended and as per his wishes, she even sang for his first movie and they did a project together which became a blockbuster hit. Everyone thought that they would end up together.

As years went by, they became busy with their own projects, they barely met. Finally, 3 years after the end of CWC, they met at an award function. Both of them were different people now. He was this sought after actor who had a place in South Indian cinema for doing a variety of roles. She, on the other hand, was not only a playback singer but was traveling doing live shows, independent music videos and was singing to the likes of ARR. She was unstoppable and had reached far beyond his reach. Once they sat next to each other at an award function and he handed her the award but now, she sat on the first row with the big shots of the industry and he was 4 rows behind. He knew then that his Kutty maa was not his anymore.

Although they had many common friends, they never bumped into each other. She mailed him her wedding invitation and he sent her flowers with a card wishing her. Although the verses were beautiful, the "rowdy" and "Maa" were replaced by "Dear Sivaangi", so formal.

She did sing in several of his movies but it was just another song. Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the honk. She had reached his house. They parked the car and slowly got off.  Vikram held her hands and they slowly walked towards the crowded room. Many familiar faces stood there crying, chatting but Sivaangi paid no heed to anyone. She held on closer to Vikram, as they moved closer to the lifeless body. She gasped at the sight. Is this truly her manna? He was fragile. His wrinkles were beyond his 60 years, head full of gray hair. She stood in disbelief with folded hands, paying her last respects.  Then she abruptly turned around to walk towards her car.

Just then she heard the voice of a young man calling out, "Are you Sivaangi?" She turned around and nodded. The young man said, "I am AK's nephew. He left this for you" and handed over an envelope. Vikram grabbed that for her. Sivaangi held on to the cover all the way back home. Once she reached home she quickly went to the bedroom to open the envelope. The first was the withered flower she had given him when they met for the first time and the next was a neatly folded piece of paper that said "Trending Pair". While tears started pouring down her cheeks, she opened up the last piece of paper which started of with "Hey KD, Rowdy, Don, when you get this in hand I am probably long gone. I always wanted to write a love letter but when I did realize my love for you, you had flown way beyond my reach. Like I said, sky is the limit. I have always been extremely proud of you Kutty maa. You are an angel who leaves her sprinkle of positivity wherever she goes. Eppovum appidiye iru maa, maaradhe. I love you until next time. You are my soulmate. No one can change that. Yours always, Manna."

Sivaangi went down on her knees bawling finally. Finally, she wept for him. All along she had know it was him. Only him. Vikram knew it too but he ran in just to hold her so that she has a should to grieve the loss of the love of her life.

****Sorry guys, this is a different take. Please remember, it is just a story. Don't hate me 😩

Brinda Subramanian