Chapter 12: Chain of command

'Thyra?'

'Hmmm?'

I look up, confused as to what we were talking about. Viggo sighs and shakes his head. 

'I asked if you were ready?'

'Ready?'

He smirks. 'Did you listen to anything I just said?'

I quickly nod my head. 'Yes! Of course I did, I just... don't remember it.' Nugget's little fuzzy head pops up from my satchel. He chirps cutely, effectively distracting us both. 

'It seems like at least someone listened.' Viggo says dryly. I glare at him and set Nugget on my shoulder. 

'Knowing Krogan, we're probably off to find some lens again.'

'You should take it more seriously.' Viggo stands up and places his hands on my shoulders. He squeezes slightly. 'Thyra... You're going to Wingmaiden Island. Krogan didn't inform you about this at first, I believe he still thinks you might be working with the riders as a spy. He didn't want them to be warned.'

Wingmaiden Island... We're going to attack them? No... They are literally the only people I've ever met who devote their entire lives to dragons. Well, we also have the Defenders of the Wing, but they just live in harmony. It's different. 

I have to somehow warn Atali...

I look over my shoulder. Midnight and I are in the forest on Wingmaiden Island. 

I hear wings flapping and quickly spin around. 'At-' I freeze.

Hiccup is still mounted and looks at me in shock. I take a step back, unsure of what's going to happen now. 

'Thyra I-' The words die out on his lips. I stare at him, all color drained from my face. Nononono, not now, not Hiccup. 

'I need to know.' He takes a deep breath. 'The ballista... it didn't work, did you-'

Midnight uses her ear to slap my hand warningly and then looks at the trees behind us. Are we being spied on?

'I don't know what you're talking about.'

Hiccup shakes his head. 'No, don't say that. You're with us, aren't you? You messed with the ballista and-'

'Hiccup!'

He shuts up. 

'I'm sorry. But unless you're able to tell me where the lens is, you're wasting my time.'

He frustratedly shakes his head. 'No, I know you, I know you would never-'

'Goodbye, Hiccup.'

I can't help him if I'm being spied on. I can't tell him the truth for the same reason, but I also can't tell him because he'll surely try to "save" me. I mount Midnight and immediately take off. I hear Hiccup following and urge Midnight to fly faster.