Chapter 2: The Island

This can't be happening... This can't be happening! THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING!

I stare at Krogan's back in shock. I've been following him to an arena. It's not a very big arena, and it's ugly. The metal bars that allow people to see what's going on, but prevent dragons from escaping, are old and rusty. 

On the side of the arena is a box, or rather a den. It consists of multiple dragon-proof plates melted on each other. But there are holes in it, it's not neat or looking sturdy in the least. 

There is a way to open the den. When the lever is pulled, A big door, taking up the entire side of the den, can open. It's the only way in or out. There isn't enough room for a dragon to fly out. However, there is enough room on the roof for Krogan to get in.

It took me a while, but Midnight and I positioned ourselves on the lower rocks above the arena. When I look over the edge, I have a perfect view. If someone looks up, which no one ever does, then I can quickly duck away. 

I've seen a lot of things done to dragons, but this is new. A while ago, Krogan watched a green Singetail being loaded in the dragon-proof den. The poor dragon was stuck in an amber cocoon and couldn't do anything. 

Krogan was clearly waiting for something. And apparently, he got what he was waiting for. He only saw the blast, that escaped the den through the many holes, engulfing Krogan in the flames of an explosion. He came out unharmed. He couldn't have seen it, but he knew, he knew that the Singetail broke free. 

And Krogan jumped right in. He jumped on the wall of the den, demonstrating once again that he's different from the other hunters. More agile, stronger, and a lot more dangerous. Then he looked at one of the hunters, now apparently under his command. All he had to do was nod, the hunter knew what was expected. This was planned. Krogan planned it. He's not as stupid as the other hunters either...

The hunter pulled the lever. An angry Singetail broke free, Krogan positioned on his back. He had gripped the horn on the nose of the Singetail, keeping a tight grip so the dragon couldn't throw him off. It was a weak spot for the Singetail. Their necks are one of the few body parts that don't spew out some sort of fire. It's also pretty much the only place their eyes can't see. 

The dragon just jumps around, confused and angry. He doesn't know what's going on. Sometimes he flies, twirls, and jumps, he spins in the air and fires wherever he can. The hunters that were watching quickly step away from the edge. Krogan just laughs, cheering the dragon on.

Midnight growls beside me. I wish we could dive in, pick Krogan from the dragon's back and drop him in the ocean. But I know I can't. It's not like the hunters are armed, and they don't expect it, but Krogan is skilled. And I don't want him anywhere near Midnight. He's cruel and doesn't hunt for sport, like the hunters my brother hired. He hunts because he gains from it, because it's tactical.

He has something to lose, even though I don't know what, and that makes him dangerous. He's not fighting for the fight, he's fighting for a bigger cause. I've seen the kind of determination in his eyes before. It's dangerous. 

I can't watch anymore and shrink back, away from the edge, away from the arena, away from Krogan. I pull my knees to my head and lean against Midnight. She's tense, and on edge. I push my hands against my ears, hoping to block out the screeches of the panicked Singetail. Hoping that this is just a nightmare, and that I will wake up soon. That there will be no cruel Krogan, no hunters, just peace. 

But it's foolish to think that.

When the roars finally stop, it's not because the Singetail escaped. I look over the edge again, careful not to fall. The green dragon is smoking from his mouth, his eyes are rapidly moving up and down, he's panting, out of breath from all the moving. Krogan is still on his back. I stare in horror as he gets off and  moves in front of the Singetail. He looks down on the dragon, his eyes so cold, even I feel threatened and I'm far away.