Chapter 11: No bark all bite

Night fell over the Archipelago like a cold blanket. Clouds covered the stars, and not even the moon had a chance to shine. Somewhere in the middle of the ocean, was a small island.

If anyone there had still been awake, they might have seen the dark blue dragon landing amid the village. But everyone in Berk was asleep.

Thyra quietly moved around. Her hood was pulled down to cover her face, even though the dragon beside her would be a dead giveaway. 

She checked Berks defenses, checked every inch of the Great Hall, she even inspected the Whispering Death tunnels that went all through the island. 

She sighed and looked at the moon. Last quarter, already setting. That meant the sun was a roughly six hours behind, and then everyone would wake up. 

Thyra silently mounted Midnight again and signed for her to take off, right as her dragon was about to fly... Another shadow, quick as lighting, landed in Berk. Or rather, in a house on Berk.

Thyra froze, hesitated for a moment, and then told her dragon to follow. Midnight, albeit a bit hesitant, listened to her rider's wish and silently landed on the roof. From there on, she climbed down against the wall so Thyra could watch through the window.

What she saw did not please her in the slightest, in fact, it was rather painful. Yet she couldn't draw her eyes away from the young Viking pacing through his room.

Hiccup frustratedly paced around as Toothless followed him with concerned eyes. He warbled softly. 

'I know, I know. I just- I don't get it!' Hiccup whisper-yelled so he wouldn't wake up his dad.

'It doesn't make sense, bud. I know she said she betrayed us, but she also helped you. But she tricked us... But she would never hurt a dragon. But she's with Krogan, but maybe- maybe they're forcing her? Maybe she has no other choice... In that case, we have to help her!'

He quickly jumped to mount his dragon, but before he could even ask to fly, he sighed and got off again. 'No, what am I thinking? I can't just go get her, it's not even sure she's forced. Perhaps dad was right, perhaps she has been playing us all along.'

He started pacing around again. 'But it just doesn't make sense! Thyra would never betray us, did you see how sorry she looked? Then she can't be truly against us.'

Toothless meanwhile heated up his rock and lay down, although he still kept a watching eye on his friend.

'Yeah, you know, I think we should go look for her!' Hiccup slammed his fist on his hand in determination. Then the door to his room burst open.

'Aye, you do what you want, but stop pacing around so much.'

'D-dad!' Hiccup said, startled. 

Stoic the Vast was by no means a man of words, he did things by taking action. But he knew his son was not like him. So for once, he gently placed his hands on Hiccup's shoulders and decided he'd use his wise words.

'Son, you have to stop thinking about her. Push her out of your head. It won't do you any good. Whether she wants to fight us or not, she's going to. She is an enemy to Berk, just like that stupid, troll-faced, twisted, yak-shitted, slime-eating, son of a-'

'Okay, okay, okay, dad. I get it.' Hiccup quickly pushed his dad's fist out away from his face and chuckled awkwardly. 'Oh, right, okay. Well, stop thinking about it. That's an order.'

Hiccup sighed, but nodded anyway. 'Yes Dad.' He lied straight through his teeth.

Stoick sighed, already knowing his son was lying (his son was without doubt terrible at it). 'Alright son, good night.'