Chapter 4: Dawn of destruction

"What are you doing here?"

I quickly realize what he's doing, he's pretending we never met. He's trying to make sure he doesn't look suspicious. 

Well, two can play that game. 

I slightly tremble and take a step forward. 'V-Viggo?' I let the hope shine through in my voice. Then I quickly wrap my arms around him. 'I was so scared you died! I thought you were gone! But then I found your sword and I knew you had to be alive, I've been looking for you forever!'

Viggo awkwardly pats my back. 'T-Thyra, you weren't mean to find me. No none can know I'm alive yet. Then we'll lose the element of surprise.'

I break from the awkward hug and huff. 'Like I would tell anyone! Do you think I'm stupid enough to let people know you're alive, they'll just kill you again.'

I know no one really killed him, but Krogan doesn't have to know that. As long as he thinks that I'm one hundred percent on his side, we're good. 

'Why were you hiding?' Krogan asks curtly.

I look up at him, hands nervously fidgeting with my skirt. I'm not that nervous, but Krogan doesn't need to know that. Let him think I'm weaker than I really am, it will only help me. 

'B-because of you, sir. I know your reputation, and I'm sorry for invading my island. But if there was even the smallest chance that my brother would indeed be here, I had to try.'

Krogan bows closer. 'I don't believe you. You're just an incompetent child, how would you have the resources to find a so-called dead person?'

'I might be a young girl, yes, but this is my family we're talking about. There's nothing I wouldn't do for my brother.' I glare at Krogan. 

He glares back. Then he suddenly smirks. 'Nothing you wouldn't do you say? Very well. Then why don't you come with us hmm? How about you help us take revenge on those pesky dragon riders, and in return, you can stay with your brother.'

I think about it. Viggo makes a slight "no" gesture, but I ignore him. If I accept, I wouldn't have to sneak around, but that doesn't make it less dangerous. Krogan will keep a close eye on me... But I do have the chance to stay with Viggo, and I'll be able to get more info on their plans. Maybe I can stop him. Destroy this all from the inside. So I smirk and extend my hand.

'It would be my pleasure.' 

Krogan almost seems disappointed with my answer. 'You'll have to kill dragons.' He points out. 

I tilt my head in confusion. 'So? I know I might not be the bravest, but I've grown up in a dragon-hunting family. I'm a better archer than most of your men combined.'

Krogan rolls his eyes. 'That's not how I meant it.'

Viggo wraps an arm around my shoulder. 'She might be more like me than Ryker, more with her brain than brawl, but she's not useless Krogan. You might do good to remember you aren't the one who found her, and who knows how long she's been here. She has infiltration skills none of your soldiers could master. We would be wise to use this to our advantage.'

Krogan smirks. 'Indeed, my friend. Perhaps she can even help us with our plan of attack. After all, it sounds like you and the riders have history.'

He looks closely at me, and I force myself to frown. 'Yeah, you could say that.'

'Not a good one, I see.'

I grit my teeth. 'Do you think I would have a good history with the people who caused this situation? I've been looking for my brother for months, and now I find him, scarred for life. All because of them.'