Chapter 1: The man at the Northern Market

I dully look at the board in front of me. I took it out so people would come to me, so I didn't need to have any unnecessary interactions. People did come, asking me if I wanted to play. Unfortunately, no one had a spare chief, so playing was impossible.

I sigh and lean my head in my hand. Why did I take this again? I thought it would be a nice reminder of the good moments with Viggo, instead, it reminds me of the fact that he's gone.

I take a shaky breath and push the urge to cry away. I'm done crying over the past.

Strangers kept passing by, I'm used to their passing shadows. That's why it takes me a few seconds to realize that this shadow isn't passing. I quickly look up.

There is someone, seeing the body size and build probably a man, with a hood and cape. I can only see a part of his face, it's scarred. Most people with scars mean danger, it means they survived something bad, something that made them stronger, something that makes them a possible threat. 

This guy, however, doesn't bother to look threatening. He isn't openly showing his scars, he's just standing there, no weapons visible.

'Do you play?' He suddenly asks me. 

I freeze for a moment. My stupid brain is hallucinating again. For a moment, he sounded like Viggo. But Viggo is dead, I should accept that.

I shake my head. 'It- it isn't mine. It belonged to someone I cared for, a lot. And this is the best thing I have left of them. I'm just not ready to fully let go yet.'

The stranger stiffens, then the corners of his mouth curl up a little. 'I'm sure he loved you as much as you loved him.'

I smile a little and think back about the letter. I hear a soft thud, pulling me out of my thoughts. The stranger is walking away, but the missing piece has returned. I stare at the chief in awe. It's a little bit blackened, probably from a fire, but it's the missing piece. How did he notice that so quickly? And why would a stranger just give it to me?

Is this some weird moment in which people pity me for the fact that I lost my brother? No, wait, I never told the stranger I lost my brother. Then it dawns on me. 

"I'm sure he loved you as much as you loved him."

I never told the stranger that I lost my brother. How could he know I wasn't talking about a girl? Did he just suspect it?

In a rash decision, I place the Maces and Talons board in my dear hide sack and bind it on my back. Then I quickly run after the stranger. 

I'm suddenly convinced that he sounded exactly like Viggo. And he had the missing piece! I know Viggo fell into the volcano, but I never saw him die! What if he's still alive?

I suddenly halt. What if he's still alive? Why didn't he reveal himself? Why would he pretend not to know me?

I look down. Maybe it wasn't Viggo after all. It was a stupid idea anyways, following a stranger. Gods, I could have been killed, I wasn't looking out at all in my rush to find my brother.

Feeling a tad confused, I make my way back to the forest, back to Midnight. No matter how hard I try, I can't stop thinking about it.

'Midnight?'

I spin around, looking in the trees where she could be. Then I hear something behind me. I quickly spin around, hand on my sword, but I relax once I see my best friend staring at me. She looks at me as if I'm an idiot. Which is understandable from her perspective. She probably smelled me miles away and she wasn't surprised when I came. It must be weird for her that I gripped my sword, not knowing it was her.