21

₊˚⊹ ᴘʟᴇᴀsᴇ ᴘʀᴏᴄᴇᴇᴅ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴄᴀᴜᴛɪᴏɴ. ᴛʜɪs ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ʜᴀs ᴛᴏᴘɪᴄs ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴍᴀʏ ʙᴇ ᴛʀɪɢɢᴇʀɪɴɢ₊˚⊹

 ᴛʜɪs ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ʜᴀs ᴛᴏᴘɪᴄs ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴍᴀʏ ʙᴇ ᴛʀɪɢɢᴇʀɪɴɢ₊˚⊹

In the early morning, 

Vanessa was the first one awake. She had slipped out of Steve's warm embrace and made her way outside. A blanket wrapped the girl's body, along with a cigarette between her lips.

Those being the best things to help warm her.

Even though she was safe in Steve's arms, Vanessa's mind kept making her feel like shit. Thinking about things that happened in the past. She didn't know why, but something was triggering it.

It had to be this motel. For some reason, it brought back memories and definitely not good ones.

She least slept a decent amount but still felt mentally exhausted. Vanessa could only hope these bad thoughts would go away. Funny enough, she would rather be in Hawkins right now.

As Ness took a big inhale of her cigarette, trying to calm her mind. Nothing worked. She was sucked back into reliving the past. Remembering when Eddie and her were at the hospital many years ago.

They sat in the waiting room with each other as they waited for the nurse. Everything happened so quickly in there.

One minute, their mother was fine, and the next, she suddenly wasn't. Eddie's mind was going in circles as the bad thoughts filled his head. All they could do was hope that she would be okay.

Eddie's knee kept bouncing up and down, which Vanessa kept stopping as she distracted herself with a crossword puzzle. She knew that her brother was nervous, and it made Vanessa even more anxious that he was, too.

They could lose their mother.

The one person who made them feel safe, the one who made cookies in the middle of the night when the two couldn't sleep, and the one who would let them sleep in her bed and be they were scared.

Where would they go? What would they do? Who's going to take care of them?

Eddie couldn't even sleep anymore because he was scared to wake up to see his mother gone. Watching how many breaths she took in case it stopped. He was terrified but didn't want to show his sister that.

"Eddie and Vanessa Munson?" a lady said, making them look up.

Relief hit Vanessa, hoping everything was okay; they weren't waiting long. So that must be a good thing, right?