02

At the Arcade,

At the Arcade,

Vanessa stood at the counter chewing her gum, observing everyone in the building. There wasn't much to do anyways. She had stupidly left her book in her locker after being so eager to leave school. So sitting in complete boredom was something she had to do.

It wasn't ideal to work here, but she needed money somehow, especially with her uncle working most of the time to support them. Eddie worked selling drugs, of course. So, Vanessa took it upon herself to get a job and get some cash. Even if it meant being around people that she didn't like.

Her manager Kieth was another thing she hated about this place. He was always walking around terrorizing all the kids that came in. Especially Mike wheelers clan, who was always here. They were the only kids that didn't annoy her. And whenever the manager did mess with them, it pissed Vanessa off.

"Ness, I need more coins," A voice said, making the girl look in front of her.

A big smile spread across her face as she saw Max Mayfield there. She was holding her skateboard as she had just gotten dropped off but her brother. The redhead had just moved into town this summer, and they had gotten close since then. The young girl also didn't have the best sibling in the world. So, she looked up to her older friend more than ever.

Vanessa was more than happy to lend the girl some money. Grabbing change from her pocket, she handed them over. "Don't spend them all in one go, Max."

"I'll try not to," she said before disappearing to her favorite machine.

While the female stood at the counter, more people walked in, including Steve and Dustin. After digging through the car for the money, they finally came inside. Only because the boy had forgotten his own at home, so Harrington gave him all the loose change they could find.

The male was an only child, after all. He never had siblings, so Dustin was practically a brother to him. And they definitely acted like siblings too. Apart from daddy issues and being left alone at home, Steve wasn't that bad of a guy only because he didn't let those issues out on people anymore.

"It's not like the machine is going anywhere," Steve said as Dustin almost tripped.

Shaking his head, he pinched the bridge of his nose. Babysitting again. The stressed male took a deep breath before finally heading to where his best friend had gone. Watching him already deep into the game he was playing.

An hour had passed, and by that time, the other boys eventually came into the arcade. They all were arguing over who gets to play next, but Steve had already left that area to sit alone. Just wanting a break from the children's energy. He played a few games himself until finally feeling bored.

The male walked around the building to find the boy, which he eventually did. But he suddenly noticed two other people there. As Steve got closer, he realized who was all there. It was the blonde girl from earlier today in class, but she did not seem happy.