16

Steve was stressed

Steve was stressed.

He probably fixed his hair fifteen times before leaving the house. Dustin's mom was having her annual Christmas Eve dinner. And, of course, his young friend had invited him over.

Even though his parents would be home for Christmas this year. How unlikely of them to do. He at least wanted to get away from them for a night. Knowing a fight could happen any minute, no matter what day it was. The male didn't want to deal with that tonight.

But Steve wouldn't have been this stressed until he learned Vanessa was coming. He pulled on one of the many sweaters he had bought at the mall. Choosing the soft, deep red one, knowing it was the best color fit for the male. And also because Vanessa was the one who picked it out for him.

She very much said it was his color.

He had already picked up Robin after his curly-haired friend told them about the party when working a shift at Scoops. She was happy to go, mainly because Robin never really went out with friends. But mostly so the girl could spy on Vanessa and Steve the whole time.

The whole ride there, Steve wanted to rip his hair out, hearing Robin ask him a bunch of questions, like if Vanessa would show up and why he was wearing so much cologne. He was about ready to slam his head into the steering wheel.

"You bought her a gift, right?" she babbled, moving her hands around. "Of course you did. I was there when you bought it."

Robin gasped, "Oh my god. What if she got you something?"

The nervous male turned over to her with a look on his face. He was already freaked out enough, and this made things worse. She went to say something else until noticing the expression. Robin mumbled a 'sorry,' and after that, the ride was silent.

It wasn't that Steve didn't appreciate her enthusiasm. More or so, the fact that what he felt was hidden from Vanessa, which was hard considering how much time they spent together.

She didn't have a clue, and that made things a lot harder. So, for now, he had to hold that secret in his heart.

"Last Christmasss, I gave you my heart," Robin started to sing. Not caring about her best friend was acting at the moment. She knew he was just nervous and needed to relax. So, this was the best thing for Buckley to come up with.

Robin raised her hand, acting like a microphone was there. "This year, to save me from tears, I'll give it to someone special."

The male looked over as she started to dance in the passenger seat. He began to chuckle, watching Robin act like she was having a full-on concert, deciding to join her in the song.