Chapter Thirteen

Keith had actually listened to me, he only brought Laura and Mason with him

Keith had actually listened to me, he only brought Laura and Mason with him. To make it less awkward I made the Queens promise not to come down, Caine would stick to my arm and my other Blood would join us only if they could keep respectful of the shifter Alpha and his mate. At first, I would have rather had the other Queens go out, to I don't know, shop for our upcoming trip but they refused to leave because it would be too dangerous without me or Blood. But when I told them about the trip they insisted on going upstairs to pack. Hell, even Tabitha was excited to get ready to go to California, that's why she wasn't here. She left saying when the jet was ready she would be back. Then there's Jaxon. He had come back the morning of my nightmare with the Fae, I had told him about California and the reason we were going. He had said he could look into lawyers for me, and he had left today to wrap up some things but would be here in time to travel with us. So it was official, he'd be going with us.

"A shifter belongs with other shifters." Keith starts, and it's only been ten minutes since he's been here. Walter had made us a large dinner and was in the process of putting it out on the table with the help of Vinny.

"You're fine with Tank being with us." I point out to the man sitting uncomfortably at the end of the table, who's also staring at the pork roast. I think he might have three stomachs.

"Tank is a grown-ass man."

"Keith," Laura said throwing him a hard stare before turning to Rue. Rue had wanted to sit near me, but not so close that we would touch. She still kept a bubble around her and didn't want anyone to touch her, which was fine with me. I'd give her as much space as she needed as long as she kept talking to me about what was going on with her.

"Demanding that she go with you won't work." I tell him grabbing one of the rolls from the basket near me. I had my eyes on these buttery goodness's since Walter set them down. "It wouldn't work with any teenager. I know from stories that Mason was a handful."

"This is different." Keith said he was fuming in his seat. If it wasn't for Laura being the calm one next to him we might have been in trouble. "You've never raised a child, you don't know what goes into it."

"I'm not a child." Rue said, it was said louder than I'd expected, but she still wouldn't look over at him while she said it.

"She isn't a child, she's a teen," I tell him tearing off a piece of roll. When the last plate is placed onto the table Laura grabs Keith's plate to fill it. Bjorn mirrors her with my own. "I have a proposal for you and Rue. She will stay with me, until she either wants to leave for a pack or until she is old enough to leave to be on her own. I have set aside a large chunk of money to go towards whatever she wants in the future, that'll be hers if she stays or not."