Chapter Seven

Walter and Ester had made their way here at some point, and Walter was working in the kitchen

Walter and Ester had made their way here at some point, and Walter was working in the kitchen. He was getting mise en place done for the coming meals he was going to make, then I told him we would have guests over Sunday. No, it wouldn't be a fancy dinner, but yes we would need a lot of food. Knowing Keith and Mason we would need to cook a whole pig, and that would just be one part of dinner. The kitchen is also where I find Caine, drinking something steaming out of a cup and looking out into the backyard.

I stop across the table from him and ask. "How do I make a demon?"

There's a clattering of dishes and Walter mumbles his apologies, I'm guessing he never expected that, even though he's worked for vampires for years. Caine looks up at me, drink paused before his lips. He sets it on the table before looking behind me, where Bjorn and Jaxon are, then back to me. "It is a long process, one that will weaken you and put him in a state of transformation." He looks back to Jaxon. "Three to five days, you will be in pain you've never experienced before, but you will be paralyzed while it's happening. To us it'll look like your sleeping, to you it will be hell."

I turn to look at Jaxon, it's not my choice, it's his. I was willing to do it, I wanted to do it just so I can have the knowledge and so I can know more about my powers. I also wanted to push myself, to test my limits. Caine speaks again, drawing my attention back to him. "It would be good to do it while on the high of Queen's blood, but you also have no training. No training could complicate things, make them take longer."

"Could she train first?" Jaxon asks Caine.

"I could help her train, I need to teach her the basics anyway." Caine places his cup on the little saucer and holds out a finger at us. "Buuut. The power it takes to do so without a nest boundary to hide it will alert anyone that can sense the power within a certain distance. I don't think any Queens will be close enough to feel it, but other things will. Some will be curious enough to investigate."

"Just what we don't need," Bjorn mutters.

"If we wait until then."

"You won't have the rush of Queen's blood." Caine finished for me. So I can practice with my magic that I gained from my father's side. But I have to decide if I do it sooner rather than later. Doing it sooner means I might get attention from supernaturals around me, and I'm not sure I'm ready for more attention. I'd really rather not throw myself into the deep end so soon.