Chapter 16: Disappointment

Li Chengqian had wanted to tell Teacher Tian Wenming that his mathematics wasn't lousy anymore! He could easily solve any question that was within the syllabus.

However, when he thought of how he only scored 40 out of 150 marks in the last mock exam, he kept his mouth shut.

Tian Wenming would definitely not believe it. "Next week is the second provincial joint mock exam. When the time comes, results will speak for itself."

"I only learned programming recently. I don't have hands-on experience, and I have not written my own program either... Also, Teacher Tian, what is the open source project you mentioned?" Li Chengqian answered Tian Wenming's questions honestly.

Then, he started asking all the things he didn't know.

This was the first time he had heard of the term open source project, both in his previous life and in this life.

When Tian Wenming heard Li Chengqian's reply, he looked at him in shock.

He had only learned to program recently? And he could get full marks? Tian Wenming had his doubts.

What was most disturbing was that Li Chengqian had never written a program and didn't know about open-source projects.

"Open source projects are projects that use open source codes available on the Internet. Anyone can participate in the development of open-source projects. The projects on the Gitee website and GitHub website are all open source projects."

Looking at Li Chengqian's confused expression, Tian Wenming explained the use of open-source projects in daily life.

"The Linux and Android systems we're using are the results of the open source project!"

Actually, before Li Chengqian answered his question, Tian Wenming was very excited. But after hearing Li Chengqian's answer, his heart instantly sank, and he was greatly disappointed.

Li Chengqian's theory was indeed very good!

However, there was always a huge gap between theory and practice.

It was just like how most people knew that the formula for gunpowder was sulfur, nitrate, and charcoal.

However, apart from professionals, how many people have you seen successfully make gunpowder?

This was the difference between theory and practice!

"So that's how it is!" Li Chengqian suddenly understood, and then his eyes flashed brightly.

Li Chengqian had never heard of Gitee and GitHub websites, and the Linux system. He didn't know what they were, but he knew Android.

What was the Android system?

It dominated the mobile phone operating system worldwide.

Nine out of every ten phones in the world use Android.

"Li Chengqian, the Junior Informatics Programming Competition is divided into two parts: the written test and the machine test. The written test takes up 40%, and the machine test takes up 60%."

"According to the rules of the competition, the competition is divided into two stages..." Tian Wenming took out a Junior Informatics Programming Competition guide and told Li Chengqian the things to take note of in the competition.

The entire competition was divided into two stages.

The first stage was the preliminary round, also known as the screening round. During the screening round, students from the same province were ranked together. The top 20 students in the province would qualify for the finals.