• 1 •

Today was my first day at my new school. I moved to Germany about a week ago, my dad had to move here because of his work, he's busy all the time which leads me to spend more time with my mom.

I was scared and anxious about how I'm going to deal with not being able to understand or talk German. I was all dressed and ready to leave.

I glanced one last time at myself in the mirror before heading out.

,,Can you drive me?" I asked my mom as I walked down the stairs.  I already knew the answer but I still tried. She was working, tapping on her keyboard and her eyes focused on the screen.

,,I'm sorry hun, but I got work to do" she said not even taking her eyes off the screen for once.

I rolled my eyes and walked out shutting the door behind me. I took out my phone and used google maps to look up the way since I wasn't familiar with everything here.

It was a 10 minute walk and I arrived, the schoolyard was empty. I was confused, where is everybody? I looked at the time and that's when I realised I was late.

I forgot that school in Germany starts at 8am, while I was used to America where it starts at around 9am. I fastened my steps, sprinting inside the building.

I saw an old looking lady, for sure she was no student so she may could help me out. I really didn't know where I had to go.

,,Excuse me" I tried getting her attention by waving my hand. I smiled at her as friendly as I could.

,,Was?" (What) she asked, I didn't understood what she was saying and looked at her with a big question mark on my face.

,,English?" she then asked. I quickly nodded.

,,Ahh, you're the new student right?" she asked with a German accent.

,,Yes" I smiled. ,,Alright, you're a little late the lesson started already but it's okay, it's your first day here" she winked and smiled.

,,Follow me, I'll bring you to your class, and by the way, I'm the principal Mrs. Malik" she smiled as she started walking down the hall, she was pretty fast and I tried keeping up with her as fast as I could.

She continued talking and to be honest I couldn't really understand much of what she was saying due to her German accent.

We arrived and she knocked on the door. The class that first was noisy, now went all quiet and just waited for someone to enter.

Mrs. Malik opened the door and stepped in, me following directly behind her.

,,Entschuldigen sie für die Störung, aber ich habe hier die neue Schülerin, sie spricht aber nur englisch ich hoffe das ist kein Problem" (I'm sorry for interrupting you, but here's the new student, she only speaks English tho so I hope that's no problem) she said as the guy shook his head and smiled at me.

Mrs. Malik patted my shoulder with a soft smile before leaving the class and shutting the door. Now it was just me standing in front of the class, looking questionably at the teacher.

,,My name is Connor, I think that's easier for you to pronounce than my last name" he laughed. I smiled at him. I was allowed to call the teacher by his first name, what a privilege.

,,Wo setz ich dich hin" (Where do I put you) he asked himself looking around the class, I followed his gaze and saw all those faces looking at me, I was definitely nervous.

,,Bill!" he said all of sudden, turning back to me. ,,Look over there" he pointed at a boy with black hair, he shyly put his hand up so that I knew who the teacher meant.

,,That's Bill, he's a friendly person so no need to be scared, you can sit down next to him" the teacher smiled. I nodded and made my way to the back.

Bill smiled at me, he had black spiky hair, black eyeshadow and was dressed all black. His lips were small and he had a beautiful pointy nose which was the first thing I noticed.

,,Hi!" he whispered as I let myself down next to him, I smiled and returned a ,,Hi".

,,Sprichst du deutsch?" (Do you speak German?) he asked but I didn't understand and just looked at him in confusion, not saying anything.

,,You don't speak German at all?" he then asked. I shook my head as he understandingly nodded with a soft smile.

,,Just stick with me if you don't find friends, I'll help you get to know how everything works" he smiled. I could see he was excited about my appearance which made me feel good and immediately put a smile on my face.

,,Do we have different classes?" I asked. ,,No, we're a class so we all have every lesson together, only a few classes are separated, depends on which classes you choose at the start of the year" he explained, I didn't really understand but I just nodded.

,,You good at math?" I asked pointing at the board, he shook is head with an downward smile. Math was difficult for me, but now even more because it was taught in German so I couldn't really understand anything.
I sighed and sunk in thoughts.