Volatile

I considered skipping the rest of the classes that day in order to read about Potions that can make a person half dead. However I decided against it because I did not want to get into trouble with Umbridge. Instead, I charmed my Potion guide book to look like my Defence Against the Dark Arts text book.

I was reading under Potion ingredients with high sedative powers. At the bottom of the page, there was a list of those ingredients whose powers were so good in fact that they could kill you in very small quantities. I read: "Veraline roots- The roots are so powerful in fact that they can put any living being to sleep, be it permanent or temporary. It is not to be used by wizards under the age of sixteen. They are used to make the Draught of living Death." Somehow reading this felt like déjà vu, suddenly I felt something being triggered in my memory.

I was hiding behind the door of a boys dorm room. In came a stringy, pallid looking boy who seemed like a plant kept in the dark. His hair was lank and greasy and was flopping in his shoulders.

"Hi Snape." I said revealing myself to him. He screamed and tried to run but I locked the door with my wand. "We can do this the easy way or the hard way." I told him.

"Look Rhine, I told you I am not giving it to you." said Snape.

"But I really need it. Look I will do anything to get those Veraline roots. I need them." I said

"Why can't you steal them from Professor Slughorn?" said Snape.

"He doesn't trust me unfortunately... he knows I like to experiment a lot but my last experiment nearly damaged Bertha's legs forever, so he sealed his storeroom against me." I said in frustration, honestly Bertha could have lived without her legs. "Look I really need you Snape. I need to make that Potion. I will do anything." I said. I really needed that Potion. There was no other way to avoid Dumbledore finding out about my initiation except to put him under a heavy sleep so that his security measures would not detect Dark Magic in the school.

"Anything? Really?" he asked interested.

"Yes, I would even kiss you for it." I said trying to hide how disgusting that would be for me.

Snape seemed to really consider this. "No. you would just make polyjuice Potion for your friend Jorkins and have her kiss me." Wow the guy really knew me. "I want something else. I want you to tell me why Lupin is always going away every month."

"But I promised James I would keep it a secret." I said.

"Fine then you can forget your initiation." said Snape.

"Okay, I cant tell you because Dumbledore put me under oath not to tell anyone. However, I can get Black to tell you." I told him. I was a genius. Black would love to see Snape being chased by a werewolf. All I needed to do was to convince him not to tell James, I would be the one tell him.

"You think Black is stupid enough to do that?" asked Snape.

"If he thinks it is a prank, yeah. So we have a deal then? Once Black leads you in the right direction, you will give me the roots?" I asked.

"Deal." said Snape. That was easy. Since Snape probably wouldn't survive, no one else in the school would know about the initiation.

"Miss Black, are you sleeping in my class?" an outraged voice snapped me back to the present.

"Of course not Professor. I'm just not feeling very well. My er eyes are acting up." I said hoping they were blue again.

"Ah yes, they look horrible. I suppose parts of your hair being blonde is a side effect?" she asked. I wasn't sure if she was being sceptical or real so I decided to go with it.