𖥻 YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN KID

"i searched the party for better bodies just to learn that my dreams aren't rare, you're on your own kid, you always have been."

˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗

˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗

RILEY HARDING WAS IN PURE SHOCK. call it whiplash even, she couldn't believe everything that had happened in the past 24 hours, she had found out her partner was non other than the person she despised the most, she had gotten scolded by her father figure, and worst of all, her mother was fucking dead.

she had received the call on the way home from liz's party, since peters aunt may had offered to give her a ride home, she couldn't bring herself to refuse, a few minutes into the ride, she received the phone call. her mother had died in a car crash. riley harding was an orphan. unless, she had found her dad.

she was lying on peters top bunk seeing as may had offered to let her sleep there for the night, knowing what losing someone feels like. even though riley didn't necessarily like her mother, she was still her mother.

to say she was in pure agony was an understatement. "peter" riley whispers from the top bunk, she was wearing his old sweatpants and hoodie, which were still still far too big on her.

"mhm?" peter lets out a faint groan meaning that she had woken him up.

"never mind. go back to sleep" she whispered yet again, not wanting to cause a disturbance.

"i'm already awake so you might as well just say what you were going to say anyways." he says. she sighs before she says

"can i come down?" peter freezes at this, unsure of where this will lead to, he says yes, knowing that she just lost someone, he didn't wanna be more of a pain in the ass.

she gets down from the top bunk and sits on the edge of his bed, bopping her leg up and down, peter can physically hear her heartbeat, it was pretty fast.

"hey rye, you okay?" rye. she hadn't heard that nickname in years, she tried to hide the tears in her eyes

"yea- just peachy." she lied through gritted teeth, not knowing that peter could feel that she was lying.

"come here riley." he says as he opens his arms, she hesitantly goes up to him and accepts the hug, she starts quietly crying, so she pulls away from the hug

"i'm sorry- i- uh- i don't know what came over me." she quietly apologizes.

"rye it's fine, do you wanna talk about it?" he asks, she could feel the pity radiating off of him. she lets out a small laugh,

"not much to talk about, she wasn't a great mother, but she was still my mother." she says as she looks down.

"uh peter- do you wanna talk about what happened?" she asked , peter immediately understanding what she meant,

nodding his head vigorously. "let's go up on the roof." he says as he climbs out of the fire escape.

"so you're spider-man." she awkwardly says,

"yea and, you're black cat i guess" he replies, just as awkwardly.

she turns to face him and she sees this look in his eye, almost a look of lust.

"peter- i'm sorry, i'm really sorry. i don't know why i've hated you for all these years i mean- i guess i was just jealous, you had a guardian who cared for you, you had friends- you had the grades. i-i don't know why i was so mean to you." she quickly rushes out, peter sits there in shock, he wasn't excpecting that.

"riley- it's okay, to be honest i don't know why i was a duck to you either.." he quietly replies, she lets out an airy laugh,

"friends?" she asks ,

"friends." he nods.

they were still up on the roof, he was looking at her looking up at stars.

"they're so beautiful" riley quietly whispers. he quickly averts his head away from her and looks up

"yeah.. they are, remember that nickname i had for you back in 3rd grade because you liked stars so much?" he asked as he watched her eyes relieve the moments.

"yeah.. star. it was cute you know." she says matter of factly.

"yeah, it was" he sighs. as he looks down at her, "we better get to sleep, we have a long day of paper work, school, and patrol tomorrow"

he says quietly. "paper work?" she questions. "yea.. may says she's trying to find your dad."

trying to find your dad. shit.

˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗

authors note!
how do we feel about this lol.... i just keep putting riley though more pain.. and i'm not done!! i also failed to mention that riley and peter were friends throughout 2-3rd grade but that's about it!
also this is a pretty short chapter but i'm lazy lol