Chapter CLI

"The Emperor has made a critical error, and the time for our attack has come," Mon Mothma said. Her holo figure, as well as the figures of Admiral Ackbar and other Rebel Leaders, was standing in front of the holotable as she began the briefing. Luna and Vader were watching with Admiral Piett and General Veers from the bridge, the information being beamed to the ship from Home One. The ex-Shadow could have attended in person, but Luna had preferred not to deal with any more Rebels than she had to. Besides she'd just have to catch a ride back to the Executor, which would take up time better spent on preparations. Ahsoka had decided to attend in person, as had almost everyone else the girl knew. Padmé might even be watching in the crowd, though Luna couldn't see her holo.

But she knew the Rebels could see them, or at the very least her, a fact that had created quite the oddity as that meant Vader as well as the two officers were standing behind the girl, letting her take point. Luna didn't quite know how to take it—the situation felt rather backwards.

"The data brought to us by the Bothan spies has pinpointed the exact location of the Emperor's new battle station," Mothma continued, the holo diagram hovering over the table changing to show the image that Luna had been spending the past however many days agonizing over. "Scouting missions by Lord Vader have furthered our knowledge. We now know that the weapon systems of this Death Star are partially operational. A small portion of the Imperial fleet has been summoned into the system to act as a guard until the defense systems are online. But most importantly, we know the Emperor himself is overseeing the final phases of construction from a stronghold planetside. Many Bothans died bringing us this information." Her voice was stern at the end, as though anyone present needed a reminder of the risks they were taking every day. Mothma then stepped back, allowing Admiral Ackbar to take over. Luna had been having many holo calls with the Mon Calamari to discuss strategy ever since Vader had sent her the first holos of what they would be dealing with. She was familiar with his plans, though she didn't quite know what had made the final cut considering her forty-eight hour nap.

"The only weapon that has seen completion on the Death Star is the main laser. As the hyperdrive is unfinished and engines are not completed enough to do anything besides maintain orbit over the planet, the battlestation will not be able to quickly move into position to attack our cruisers. That said, the danger does remain for the larger ships. Only fighters will be launching the attack on the Death Star itself while the remainder of the fleet will keep the defending destroyers busy. The fighters will fly into the superstructure here," at this the Admiral pointed to the missing chunk of hull that made the battlestation look like it was missing one fourth of itself, "and attempt to knock out the main reactor." A small dot representing what Luna was going to assume was Lando and Wedge until informed otherwise made the successful run. The holo then mimicked an explosion before the Mon Calamari shut it off. "General Callrisian has volunteered to lead the fighter attack."

Admiral Ackbar proceeded to step back and yield the floor to—

Vader stepped forward.

"The second phase of our attack is against the planetside stronghold," the Sith Lord began to Luna's surprise. "Transports will break through the Imperial fleet and drop off the infantry to begin assaulting the base as a distraction, one army on either side." At this the hologram reappeared, this time modeling the temple-like fortress as well as two different forces attacking it in green and blue. "General Skywalker and I will enter during the distraction to kill the Emperor." Luna frowned, less at the knowledge Luke had been promoted to General at some point (how had she missed that?), and more at the lack of her own name. "Princess Leia will be leading the Alliance's forces here." The green parts of the holo blinked, denoting them as that part of the army. "Valkyrie will lead the combined assault of 501st's and Shu-Torun's forces here."

If Luna hadn't been apprising Vader with a look of utter horror filled shock, she'd have noticed that apparently no one else on the holo was surprised at this information. If she'd been focusing on the Force, she'd have proceeded to realize that literally everyone else the girl knew was equally bewildered as she at this turn of events.

The rest of the meeting was a blur. Luna paid no attention to it, her eyes boring into Vader's back, hardly keeping herself from questioning him in the presence of their officers and the entire Rebel Alliance.

But soon enough the holos were off and Piett was ordered to jump them to hyperspace after Artemis's Illusion had been collected while Veers was to ready the men. Vader walked off with Luna tailing close behind, seconds away from blowing up on him. She managed to keep it inside up until the point they entered their floor.

"What in Force's name did you just do, Vader?!?!" Luna shouted. "You are going off to kill Palaptine, and I'm not coming with you?!?!"

"Someone needs to lead the 501st," the Sith stated calmly, not even bothering to look at her as he walked toward his office.

"Veers has led assaults like this hundreds of times! There is no conceivable reason for me to be leading them when I could be helping you! You've trained me for this moment for years! I'm coming with you!"

"No, you are not," he snapped, Force presence flaring in anger.

"You'll need me!"

"What I need you to do is to make sure our troops aren't slaughtered by Palpatine's Hands."

"Astarte or Ahsoka could do that! I'd be far more useful helping you and Luke take out the Emperor!"

"The decision is final."

"Vader—"

"I said it's final!" he yelled, spinning on her. Even Luna couldn't help stepping back, sensing his overwhelming anger turned on her though she knew not the cause.

"....You better know what you're doing, Vader," she finally growled, not willing to admit defeat but also knowing nothing could be done now, what with the entire Rebellion having heard the assignment.

Then, deciding she didn't want to be anywhere near the Sith for the foreseeable future, Luna left the floor.