Chapter LXXXVII

Things, as they always did when Skywalkers were not involved, went perfectly when it came to the planning and execution. The two Huntresses walked into the ballroom side-by-side and passed through security with the ease of an invitie well prepared for the coming court-like festivities.

Ahsoka had taken inspiration from Morai, her two piece costume having the pattern and coloration of the condor with feather-like designs as well as a cape that connected to fingerless gloves to create mock wings. Her mask, a relatively simple thing that covered the top half of her face, was in fact modeled after Morai's face. Luna had even managed to paint a new green pattern onto the Torguta's lukka that both fit with the costume and covered up her natural blue pattern. The Grey Jedi had been surprised, though pleased, with how it had all turned out. She had never had the pleasure of dressing up in such extravagance before, but even Ahsoka couldn't deny finding a small enjoyment in seeing her costume come together.

It also likely helped that she hadn't seen the price tag.

Luna had taken inspiration from somewhere else. Egyption-wolf-moon goddess cross was the phrase if Ahsoka recalled correctly. The human was wearing a flowing white dress decorated with silver plates containing star cutouts that acted like a collar, covering all possible cleavage but leaving her arms and shoulders bare. The dress's back swept down with only a chain of moon phases covering her spine, only ending where a small, delicate looking, silver belt rested on her hips just above what looked like a fluffy, grey tail, a mechanical one, as it swished and moved as though it was a natural part of the girl's body. Two silver bands rested on Luna's forearms (another rule apparently, one that the once Sith planned to follow because she didn't want to show off some scares, the ones on the rest of her body were covered with makeup so her skin appeared flawless) while her mask appeared to be modeled, to some extent, after Cerberus's face as the left eye had a sparkling scar traveling down it. Luna also had on contacts to make her pupils into snake-like slits, and the one on her left side made the eye appear milky white. To complete the look, she had on two grey wolf ears on top of her head and black hair styled into wild curls to cover her real ears.

"Ready, Athena?" Luna asked in a murmur as they entered the overlooking balcony. The ball appeared to be in full swing down below, colors and masks swirling around in some sort of dance that the Grey Jedi didn't recognize off hand. There were very, very few nonhumans. A togruta would stick out like a sore thumb, especially when it was clear she wasn't an escort.

Nothing that hadn't occurred before, though it never made the unease disappear. Sometimes Ahsoka couldn't help but wish she was born a Twi'lek.

"That depends if you are, Asteria," Ahsoka responded, her voice matching the ex-Shadow's in volume.

Without further comment, the two separated, descending different sets of stairs and joining the masquerade below.

~*~

"Uh, Princess, you forgot to mention this was more than a plain old suit and tie event," Han muttered from where the group of three Rebels were hiding in the shadows of a hall. The Correlian smuggler was staring at the crowd in front of them, dressed with more extravagant feathers than a rare bird and more ruffles than should ever been seen in one place and likely more metal than inside the Imperial treasury.

"You really thought I got dressed in this for the fun of it?" Leia hissed as she made a mad gesture to the tight fitting crystal covered outfit she had somehow managed to stuff herself into despite the vulptex costume being a size or two too small. "With luck, no one will really notice you since you're in a bodyguard's outfit."

"Am I wearing this tie right?" Luke asked, still fiddling with that particular part of his stolen suit.

"You're hopeless, Luke." Leia swiftly moved to his side and took care of it before straightening the mask on her brother's face.