Chapter eight

______3am
Mark stayed up very late but eventually fell asleep. He was sitting on the floor, next to the bed. Suddenly, he felt a hand touching his head and he woke up abruptly. He got up quickly and turned on the lights. He saw Haechan standing there, watching him.
- oh... you're awake
- ...
- Don't just stand there, sit
He moved closer to him and sat him down. Haechan was still staring blankly at him.
- what am I doing here...
- ummm ... I.. I nearly hit you with my car ...you...
- ...
- You were being chased by those people again.
Haechan looked away. He didn't want to talk about it.
- I can see you're not going to tell me anything. It's okay, but please stay safe here with me.
- ...
- I won't ask you any questions. You can talk to me whenever you want or feel like. I won't force anything.
Haechan looked down. He noticed all the bandages he had and suddenly the pain of the blows he had received was felt.
- You took care of my wounds... why?
- Oh... I couldn't leave you like that
- But you don't even know me..
- Yes I do. Not much, but enough to take care of you
Mark looked Haechan in the eye and smiled. Haechan felt his heart beating hard and fast. That smile had an effect on him that he didn't understand at the time. He felt safe and protected.
- Thank you so much. You didn't have to do this for me
- What are you saying? Of course I had to
- But you didn't
-stop.. please
Mark smiled
- You must feel some pain, I imagine
- Yes, a little
- Wait, I'll give you some medicine, then you'll feel better.
Mark left the bedroom and went downstairs to the living room, then down the corridor to a room in the house. He went in and started to get the medicine for Haechan. Meanwhile, Haechan lay in bed and waited. Many things were going through his mind. But above all, he thought of Mark. Why was he helping him? Why was he being so nice to him? After all, he didn't really know him, and yet he'd already done so much for him. In return he had just been unkind and ungrateful to Mark. "I'll apologize when he comes back," he thought.
A few moments later Mark was back in the room. He took care to give Haechan the medicine, and did so gently.
- hey, you should sleep now. Get some rest so the medicine can take effect. I'll leave you now
- Mark!
- Yes?
- ...
- come on.. sleep
- I'm so sorry. I've been so mean and ungrateful to you. And yet you're so kind and good to me.
- Don't say that, you haven't done anything wrong. I know it's not easy to trust someone you don't know haha
- ...
- Don't blame yourself anymore. Rest now. Sleep well
- But where are you going to sleep?...
- The house is big, don't worry
- Yes, but it's not fair to you, this is your room...
- Lord it's so hard to get you to sleep
- I'm sorry
- No, I'm just teasing you
- Oh..
They both start laughing. Mark said good night again and left the room. Haechan felt his heart beating so fast he couldn't understand why. He lay awake for a few moments, then fell asleep.

_____