Dinner with The Relies

Nalani~

I told Enora all about my day and we gossiping like two hens in a hen house. Sadly Enora couldn't come to dinner sense today wasn't a day she stays over, so after we parted ways I had to raid my closet for a dress to wear to dinner.

The dinner wasn't till 7:30 at The Relies house, but I like to be already prepared and I needed approval from my mom on what to wear. I find this floral strap dress that is honestly cute for the occasion

It was nice to dress like this but I wasn't happy about being with Jack for a whole day

It was nice to dress like this but I wasn't happy about being with Jack for a whole day. My mom called and told me that we needed to go over to The Relies house and I grabbed my purse and phone and sprayed light peach perfume and walked with my mom to the house next door.

My mom fixed her clothes nicely before knocking on the door in front of us and Jack's mom opens the door "Heyy Mary! Welcome in!" Megan smiled, Megan was Jack's mom and  she was very nice and sweet to me.

My mom chitchatted with Megan on the couch while I sat on one of the chairs by the island counter. I occupied myself by texting Enora and daydreaming until Jack came from the back of the house where his room was and he had wet hair so he must've just showered.

He had a tight white shirt on and black knee high shorts, I didn't realize that I was staring but I mean who cares he looked good. Wait what!

What the hell am I thinking?! Not Jack Relies no way, Jack said hello to my mom before sitting next to me and not saying a word but looking down at his phone texting someone.

I didn't want this awkward silence so I spoke up " well hi to you too!" I say putting my phone down looking at jack who ignored me so I scoffed and rolled my eyes. What a bastard! I just tried to be friendly and he couldn't even respond. I got out my chair and walked over to my mom and Megan "oh Nalani you've grown so much your so beautiful!" Megan bragged about me and I smiled and thanked her while Jack scoffed at all the nice words his mom called me.

"Jack don't be mean! Sorry about him, he can be such a hater" Megan rolled her eyes and i slightly laughed because Megan didn't strike you as the young type, she was middle aged but she was definitely not old, being old was a cliche to her.

Megan treated me as a daughter every time she saw me because she never had a daughter or a niece so I was the closest thing. Jack came over to sit by us and socialize but by that time I had already zoned out.

When Megan and my mom got up to began cooking I stopped zoning out and noticed Jack was sitting close to me now "nice dress." Jack said looking down at my legs then back to his phone "thank you." I said blankly and started to text Enora "do you text her for every single inconvenience?" Jack says staring at my phone and then my eyes.

"Do you always get into peoples business?" I asked innocently smiling and he just laughs "yes especially if they're as uninteresting as you." He smiles back before continuing to his phone. The phone the damn phone, I grabbed his phone as quick as possible and run out to his backyard passing our mothers.

Jack chases me through their greenhouse garden and I stop in my tracks trying to catch my breath and Jack catches up holding me against his chest trying to get his phone out my hand. I couldn't help but laugh at the situation, for once we were just laughing and playing.

"Got it!" Jack screams getting his phone from my hands and I roll my eyes and turn around admiring the greenhouse, "you like it?" Jack says watching me look around the greenhouse "yea...it's very pretty. Do you work on it sometimes?" I turn around and ask him " nah it's kind of my mom's thing and she makes my dad do it but I just stay out the way of it." Jack says with his hands on his hips.

"Guys come set the table for dinner!" Megan calls out to us and I completely forget how fast time flew. As me and Jack setup the dining table my phone vibrates as it was a text from Lucas.

I ignored the message and turned my phone on do not disturb and returned back to setting the table.

Everyone sat down at the table, I sat next to my mom on one side and Megan and Jack sat in front of us and there was a empty chair on the side of the table where Jack's dad was supposed to be.

"Maybe he is just stuck at work..." Megan looked at the seat and tried to keep her smile, "yea for the 4th night in a row!" Jack slightly shouted before standing up and walking out to the porch.

Everyone was left speechless and Megan felt embarrassed "I'll get him for you Megan." I say getting up and Megan smiles as I walk out the door seeing Jack resting his arms on the rail. I walk up beside him putting my elbow on the railing but resting my other hand on his back.

"You um ok?" I say and he just brushed my hand off his back " I'm fine Nalani." He says sternly obviously not fine "I know we don't get along or see eye to eye but I can understand what you feel." I look out at his eyes trying to find any sense of expression " so you know what it feels like to not have your father at home anymore! To keep lying to your mom and say that it's fine if my dad isn't here when it really isn't!" Jack yells at me kinda scaring me a little but he was wrong I did know what that feels like.

"Yes actually I fucking do because my dad hasn't been in the picture for years, so don't goddamn yell at me because your dad hasn't been to dinner for a few damn days!" I yell back and his face expression just changed to blank and his jaw tenses.

I never really liked Jack but I know he needed someone right now and I have to comfort him. I went in and hugged him it took awhile for him to hug me back but he did, and he hugged me tight holding me really close to his chest.

"I'm sorry for yelling at you." Jack tells me and pulls away from the hug looking at me and I just nod and turn my head to look away because I didn't know what to do.

Jack pulls my chin to make me look at him and we stare for awhile before he leans in, our lips inches away until we hear the sound of Megan opening the door.

We both pull away pretending nothing happened "Nalani I wrapped your food up your mom said that we can have another dinner next week!" Megan says with a beautiful smile forming back on her lips " Mk thank you so much Megan for having me!" I send her a true smile and she closes the door heading back inside.

I turn back to Jack who smiled at me " what?" I ask confused " you make my mom so happy you know that?" Jack smiles at me and I just roll my eyes "she's like a second mother to me honestly" I giggle and look down at my watch to see the time to be 10:37pm.

"I should get going though, I'll see you tomorrow" I point back to my house "yea do you want me to walk you back?" Jack offers but I think it was best to not "no no it's fine" I say before getting interrupted by Jack "well too bad because I'm already walking you there." He grabs my hand and we begin to walk along the side walk.

When we finally arrived to my porch "ok we're here" I say turning to Jack "goodnight Stone." Jack says and leans down to kiss my cheek leaving me red and confused on how he was so nice.

I walked into the house and close the door before silently screaming to myself and smiling. I ran to my room to look at my messages forgetting I was on do not disturb.

There was so many missed texts from Enora so before I went to sleep we FaceTimed and I told her all about my encounters.

Was this gonna change anything?