Chapter 34 - The Upper Hand

The smell of herbs wafted in the air. A soft breeze blew through the medical tent as the doctors scurried about, trying to take care of as many soldiers as possible. Luckily none of them appeared to be badly harmed, so Cain could only assume they had taken the Emperor's forces by surprise.

"Was this what you wanted?" Maddox asked as he put on a white tunic, hiding his new stitches. "To get rid of those war machines?"

"Why would you think that?"

The villain glanced off as he mulled over his words. "I honestly didn't know what to think when I heard you describe them. I knew the Emperor was building something in secret, but not even my spies have been able to collect the kind of information you had provided. And admittedly, I was still surprised when I saw them in person."

"It doesn't look like anyone got hit by them at least."

"We didn't give them a chance to use them." Maddox boasted. "Quick and deadly are my forces. There is no need for rain when we had a big enough advantage, though it's still good to keep in mind should the Emperor build more after this. And we made sure to capture a few so that Chalot can copy the technology for future battles. Thanks to your information, we got a proper upper hand."

That was certainly a change from the previous battle. Originally the first encounter had caused a lot of casualties, particularly on Chalot's side since they had been ill-prepared for the weapons. Now it seemed they had gotten away nearly scratch free and even acquired the monstrous inventions for themselves. This could change the course of the entire war...

"Right. Chalot will have to move fast from here on out."

"Which is what you wanted, isn't it?"

Cain sighed, already knowing what the man was talking about. He always suspected that Cain had the same plans as him, so by now he'd be an idiot if he didn't acknowledge that Maddox was more than likely plotting to overthrow the emperor. Usually another noble in the king's bloodline would be better suited, but thanks to his business prowess and hold over the underworld Maddox already had a greater influence over the Empire than the Emperor himself. It wouldn't take much for him to be accepted.

As for Cain, there was no way he could even pull it off. He had absolutely no favor with anyone. Even as Wolf Brooks, he only held a handful of businesses in his pocket. Not enough to sway the people in his favor.

No. He was fine with just taking his Duchy back...

"It's not what you think, no matter how many times you suggest it." He reassured the villain. "I have my own goals and these events just work in my favor."

"I see." Maddox stood carefully, so as not to stretch his new stitches, then offered a hand for Cain to follow.

Cain refused the help and stood, then followed the man out of the tent as he began strolling through the campgrounds. The uninjured soldiers looked like they were beginning to pack things up, and a few of the tents had even been taken down. They were going to be on the move again soon.

Once they were out of sight, Cain felt a hand around his waist that pulled him up close to the villain's side. Cain tried to jerk away but was no match for the man's equally brutish strength as he was held in place and left pouting upwards.

"What? It'd be improper to do this in front of the men." Maddox teased.

"I'd assume it would be improper to do this at all."

"We've done far more improper things than this before." The villain rebuffed. "Besides, I just wanted to advise that you owe me now."

Cain wanted to argue but knew he couldn't. The man had stuck his neck out for him and had successfully won the Queen's favor. That was all he wanted. If his ancestors had won their Duchy by assisting the emperor, then why couldn't Cain do the same by helping whoever overthrows him? Though he'd assumed the information he provided on the war machines would have made them even...