Chapter 53 - Inspection

Warning: Spicy chapter!

The people of New Ashbury didn't seem perturbed in the least when Maddox and Cain strolled into town. Being the only real nobles in the new domain, they were dressed in flashy attire. Cain with his white and green vest, with gold pins, clasps, and jeweled broaches to show his status, and Maddox in his usual dark grey suit with similar decorations and a darker green cape that covered one shoulder.

After one successful attempt at getting Cain to eat and sleep, Maddox took it upon himself to do so every night since. Now the blond was finally putting on healthy weight, and the bags under his eyes were nearly gone. He even felt too antsy to sit at his desk today and thus agreed to an inspection of the town.

Surprisingly, the buildings that were in the middle of construction were being completed on schedule, and the bakery and other shops were still open and selling fresh goods despite the difficulty in trading and the drop in tourism. Cain's head whipped around as he took in his surroundings, wondering how the people were able to carry on as though the empire wasn't knocking on their doorstep.

"Surprised?" Maddox asked, noticing Cain's expression and leaning in close.

Cain leaned back, still glancing at what appeared to be a cafe in mid-construction. "I expected the people to be a little more disheartened. Or that production would have slowed with the cutbacks in supplies."

"There have been no cutbacks," Maddox replied. "I told you I would take care of the Trader's Guild, remember? Every deal we brokered with them has resulted in more than enough supplies to make sure the town can continue developing at its original pace. The people may not be able to travel to other towns as freely as before, but so long as I have something to say about it, they'll at least never starve."

Cain finally glanced up at the man, letting his words sink in and being overcome with gratuity. He'd been stressing over the state of the town ever since they'd been cut off. This whole situation was something he'd never encountered before, and he was worried he'd mess it up and make the people suffer. But luckily Maddox knew exactly what to do to prevent that.

Not to mention the villain was also responsible for helping Cain overcome his night terrors, and not through nefarious means. He never knew how comforting it would be just to have someone lay beside him, even if all they did was talk.

Thinking back, Cain didn't have any experience with running a domain. His goal to take the Duclair inheritance by force was made in haste, and he had believed he could handle it once the time came. But now, experiencing the potential pitfalls through New Ashbury, he realized he'd been naive. If it weren't for Maddox, there was no telling how things would have turned out.

Turning away, he wondered if there was anything he could do to show his gratitude. Perhaps returning the man's sword?

A few locals bowed to the nobles as they casually strolled by. Many who were mid-conversation would stop and either stare or nod in respect. Then, Maddox grabbed Cain's hand and pulled him between two buildings.

The area was narrow, with one building having been finished weeks ago and the other still being set up on wooden stilts and boards.

"What are you-" Cain asked, but was shushed with a finger pressed against his lips as he nodded quietly towards the opposite end, where more locals were talking. This time, without the nobles in sight, they didn't stop to show their respects, allowing them to be overheard.

"I can't wait for there to be a proper clothing store." A woman chirped happily, clinging to a man's arm lovingly. "You'll have to buy me something when they open."