Chapter 22 - Enjoying the Moment

Warning! Spicy chapter!

The chaos that ensued was magnificent. After months of enduring such negligent treatment from his family, Cain finally got to experience a small bit of satisfaction.

The servants were in a tizzy, trying desperately to avoid getting underfoot as various officials arrived at the manor. His father, who originally was supposed to remain traveling across the Duchy, had once again returned after receiving the news.

Cain, meanwhile, sat safe and sound in his room, with Gideon sending meals that his father would otherwise have forgotten.

One week ago, Duchess Lena Duclair had set off to meet the Empress, stating she had gotten a letter from the palace inviting her to tea. Yet, she disappeared afterward and has yet to be seen since.

When she failed to return two days later, Andrew went to investigate and learned that not only did Lena never arrive at the Palace, but the Empress had never sent such an invitation.

The first place Andrew searched was Cain's room, tipping furniture and destroying the bed, searching for letters or anything incriminating that could be used to find her. Yet, it was all in vain because Cain had planned for this.

He stood by, calmly sipping tea, watching Andrew tear out the drawers of his writing table and spill the contents onto the floor.

"I know you had something to do with it!" Andrew growled.

Cain just looked on with a bored expression. "I don't understand why you're so focused on me. I've been locked in this room ever since father ordered my imprisonment months ago. The servants can confirm I haven't left this place."

Andrew whipped around and shoved Cain against the bookshelf, causing the Marquess to drop his tea as a few books fell around them. "Don't try playing games with me. I'm not a moron. I know you had to of had something to do with it. You're the only one who would want her gone!"

"Yet again you want to point fingers without any evidence," Cain replied calmly. "I may have a motive, but I never had an opportunity to do what you're accusing me of."

"We'll see." Andrew threatened, before backing off and leaving the room, trampling the teacup on his way out.

Cain wondered for a moment why he shouldn't just kill his half-brother and get it over with? It would be quick and easy, but then again, he also wanted Andrew to suffer as he had. To take everything the man valued most, watch him get consumed by despair, and only then snuff the life out of his eyes.

Yes, Cain had to wait a bit longer. There was so much more he planned to take away before he dealt the final blow. He just had to be more patient.

By the end of the week, his father had returned and ordered various guards to come and go as he organized search parties. An investigation was underway, with detectives questioning drivers and peasants to see if anyone could track the Duchess's last known whereabouts. Yet all they knew was she had gotten onto a family carriage and headed towards the city. She had disappeared somewhere in the country before ever arriving in the capital.

Cain wasn't worried one bit that this would be tracked back to him. The investigation had been put together so quickly and so sloppily that they overlooked various details. And even if it were orderly, the crime itself had been committed by a demon. One of the trickiest creatures in the world. They would never find the Duchess again...

William Duclair seemed to forget about Cain's existence as the investigation went on. And one day, a few weeks in, Cain dared to leave his room to test the waters. He wandered to his father's study and back, where he passed the man as he was speaking with an investigator.