Chapter 30 - Acting Too Rash

"What exactly do you do out in the forest?" Cain asked as he lazily stared out the attic window, waiting for some news on how his father and half-brother planned to deal with the defamation situation.

He expected himself to be blamed of course, but couldn't resist getting front-row seats to his family's downfall.

Andrew felt that the fliers were enough to have guards literally drag Cain back to his room and lock him away until their father returned. And when the man did, he didn't bother visiting Cain at first, who was anxiously waiting to see what he'd do next.

Catalina was sitting next to him as they chattered on about random topics.

"Why are you so curious?" She asked, crossing her legs daintily as she sat on his bed in her maid disguise.

"You know there's a dryad in that forest right? He tends to kill anyone who wanders from the path."

"No, he kills humans who wander into his territory without permission. In case you forgot, I'm not human." She pointed out, then shrugged. "Plus he's kind of cute. I like a man who's all natural like that."

Cain raised an eyebrow at that remark but was interrupted by the sound of someone unlocking his door. Catalina immediately melted into the shadows as it flew open and his father entered.

"What is the meaning of this?" He stormed up and tossed the fliers in Cain's face. "And don't try to tell me it wasn't you!"

"Well look at you, living up to the rumors." He audaciously replied, only to receive a hard slap to the face.

It didn't hurt thanks to the pearl's power, but he turned his head to play along anyways.

"This is treason!" His father yelled.

Cain had several ways that he could react to this situation. He could gloat about it, revealing that he had evidence to put him away for a long time. But as it goes with the richest folk, that would be too risky since his father had ties with the Emperor and might get off easily. No, it would be best to continue with his plan and play innocent.

"But is it true?" Cain shot up so he was eye level with the raging man. "Is it true that Lena murdered my mother?"

Another slap and this time Cain didn't so much as flinch. He stared long and hardback at his father, who seemed blinded by rage at the question. "You are no longer a Dulcair!"

"You have no grounds to disinherit me!" Cain pointed out. "I didn't write those, and you have no proof that I did! Plus, Thanks to those fliers, everyone's aware of your treatment of me. Do you think no one's going to question me getting kicked out of the house like this? How are you going to explain that? It'll just look like you're covering up something!"

"And what about you?" William shot back. "According to the fliers, you did indeed have a reason to get rid of Lena, didn't you? All I have to do is trace these terrible things back to you and we'll have all the evidence we need. I should have listened to Andrew!"

"Really? That's what you're aiming for? Not the part where she may have murdered someone? Are you not worried at all that there may be some kind of evidence that caused whoever made this to write about it?"

"Don't try to fool me!" The Duke again motioned to hit Cain, but found his arm caught mid-air as he was pinned with a dark look.

"I'm not the one who's been fooling everyone all these years, am I?"

"Unhand me!" He tried to yank his hand back and failed.

"No." Cain tightened his grip, nearly breaking the man's wrist. "I demand an answer. Did you know that Lena had conspired to murder my birth mother? Did you help her? Is all of this true?"