Chapter 43 - What to do?

Cain's plans had slightly changed over the last three years. Did he still want his family duchy back? Well no, not so much as he wanted to take everything from his brother. However, Andrew's movements had become difficult to follow.

According to Gideon's letters, the man returned to the Duclair household every few months with imperial escorts. The Crown Prince himself would sometimes tag along, making it ever more clear that the two were working together on something.

Luckily last month Cain had finally gotten what that he'd been after all along. Transaction statements for the Duclair family...

His original reason for seducing Gideon was to get him loyal enough to break into his father's study and give him the records that were kept there. But now Cain's father was gone, and he'd managed to convince Gideon that Andrew had something to do with it. Thanks to this, the man would occasionally copy the ledgers and mail them.

At first, it was just useless bills for paying the staff, ordering food, or preparing garments. But then he received a statement showing millions suddenly being deposited into the Duclair account, straight from the palace.

Cain tapped his chin, deep in thought as he lounged on his fainting couch. The deposit was certainly concerning and most likely from the Crown Prince. And now he had a strange invite to the palace scheduled two months from now. It was all too convenient for him to not be suspicious.

What was odd was that the emperor himself didn't send it. Which had Cain's hackles raised because Wolf Brooks only worked with the emperor. The Crown Prince had more or less been staying out of the arsonist issue and instead had been handling internal affairs with the soldiers. So why was the man suddenly reaching out?

Maxine set down a tray of evening snacks beside the young lord before excusing herself. Then Lucia, one of the girls he'd rescued years ago from the Temple, came in with another tray covered in warm, damp towels for Cain to wash his face with.

She was one of the eldest girls who had finished her training and was now a full-fledged maid. While she was a very thoughtful person, she did occasional show a vengeful side. 

All the girls had a similar disposition as they grew up. They saw firsthand the atrocities that the emperor overlooked and grew to appreciate Cain's efforts to overthrow him. They were some of the few who knew what was truly going on in the Brooks manor and were more than willing to assist in committing treason.

"I included some chamomile extract in the water when I soaked the towels. I hope it helps ease your nerves." She bowed. The doe-eyed girl had long blond hair that was braided up in a bun and hidden under her maid cap. She was now well-fed and healthy but still appeared rather spindly. She would be 17 soon, Cain guessed. And sooner or later she may want to see the rest of the world. He was just waiting for one of the girls to work up the courage to ask. Not that he wanted to keep them trapped in the forest. They deserved freedom, but not now. Not while there was a war going on and an imminent uprising on the horizon.

"Thank you, Lucia." He sighed, dropping the letter and closing his eyes to think over the invitation.

The girl shuffled her feet while keeping her hands folded politely behind her back. Hearing her remain, Cain opened one eye. "Yes?"

"I'm sorry Master, but...Serena also wanted to report that the next batch of bombs has fallen behind. She needs more gunpowder."

"Ah, is that all?" Cain closed his eyes again. "Have Norton order more. I'll authorize the payments."

"Yes, Master." She bowed and left the young lord to his thoughts.

Norton had helped a great deal with the girls upbringing but had ultimately decided he wanted other work. He knew the market better than the other servants in the household so it was only natural to put him in charge of discreet purchases. As for Serena, she was only fourteen but had found her love of science at an early age.