Chapter 36 - Watching the Battle

Days later, on his way to respond to a rather important letter, Cain found himself stopped on the path out of the forest with a very serious-looking dryad blocking his way.

He'd yet to bring up what he'd seen the other day, not sure how to broach the subject, but it seemed the dryad was more than willing to do that himself as Catalina stopped the coach and watched with interest when Cain got out to greet him.

"I would like to apologize." The dryad started, and Cain feigned ignorance.

"What about?'

"About the other day." The spirit answered unabashed in his nude form as he looked the ex-Marques square in the eye. "I should have greeted you when you came to see me."

"So you did sense me?"

"Oh?" Catalina perked up, crossing her legs and leaning forward with interest as she rested a hand on her chin. "I was wondering when that would come back to bite you, Master 'peeping tom'."

Cain blushed over the incident and fought down his embarrassment. "I merely wanted to check on you. We hadn't spoken in quite a while. Nonetheless, since we are on the topic I would like to make sure that you are aware of the risks of letting yourself become distracted."

"I was not." The dryad replied straightforwardly. "I was still able to sense if there were any trespassers in my borders. The only person I detected in the woods at the time was you, and despite my better judgment I had chosen not to act properly."

"It's alright. I-"

"I will try to better model myself to you."

Cain blinked." Excuse me?"

"During our first encounter, you were able to stay focused. I didn't think it was anything difficult at the time, but having found myself in such a situation, I realized-"

"That's quite alright!" Cain blurted, realizing that the dryad had not been as ignorant to Cain's arousal as he told himself before. Unfortunately, that didn't stop Catalina from hoping down right next to the ex-marquees, full demon form, and leaning down till she was about eye level with him.

"Oh please do go on! I would love to hear more about this particular encounter between the two of you." She teased.

Cain finally threw his hands in the air and hurried back inside the carriage, all while calling over his shoulder. "Please disregard all of this and just let us through. I have important business to attend to!"

The demon laughed while the dryad looked perplexed by Cain's reaction, however, the path opened up and she finally resumed her position in the driver seat, taking on her human form as she blew a kiss towards the spirit on their way by.

Eventually, he was able to focus back on the task at hand. The letter from Maddox.

The man had said he'd be sending encrypted messages, but he didn't expect the first one to be a summons. There was another battle happening soon, and the man wanted Wolf Brooks to make an appearance to show his support to the Chalot Kingdom. 

Heading to a battlefront near the border meant he and Catalina would need to ditch the carriage early on and proceed on horseback. Cain dressed in his ratty attire and made sure his mask was secure. Meanwhile, Catalina chose to accompany him via his shadow.

It was hard finding his way to the exact location that Maddox marked in the letter, particularly due to the amount of Empire Soldiers guarding the border. All the roads were blocked immediately after news of the war had broke, so he had to find a trail that was safe enough to travel via horseback.