The Arbitrary life of Avery Blake [Student/teacher love story] Ch35

My mind drifted into nothingness.
Was I dead? Is this what it felt like to have your soul divide from your body?

I was standing in a field full of flowers.
The strangely arousing scent of the flowers drifted through the air as it tickled my nostrils with its tangy fragrances.

I spun around, slowly taking in my surroundings. Each and every flower had its own colour… some I had not ever seen before.

Flowers sprouted all around me until they reached to above my waist. They tickled me all over, but I didn’t mind it, it was better than the reality outside my dreams.

For the first time in a while… my dreams were happy.

I heard the soft gushes of wind blow past my ear as the quiet whipping sound made me smile.
I listened to the loud but peaceful sound of the chirping of the birds as they sung happily in the trees.
I smelt the fragrances… most, completely new to me.

Slowly my dream began to fade as another replaced it.

This went on and on for what felt like an eternity. I didn’t mind because I do not know the last time I just stopped somewhere to take in my surroundings… take in the beautiful sights or just watch a sunset… no, I could not say my life was too important to do any of those things because that wasn’t true… right now, in this current state I lay in, my life was meaningless.

I remembered all the cruel things Corbin had repeatedly achieved. And then his attempt to murder me.

Had he accomplished it? If so, I bet he would be sitting in front of the telly, sipping some fancy drink and laughing about his succession.

If I died… then I hoped the remaining bit of his soul would die with me.

**

It must have been a while since my last dream. My head felt heavier than before as time went on. But not once did I dream of the unhappy, the lonely or the scared… my mind always seemed to be glued on the happier of subjects. It was as though my mind –in its current state- repelled all thoughts of Corbin or death.

**

Today I felt different… I felt more alive; if that was possible…

My mind still hadn’t come to the conclusion of where I was in between worlds…

My memory seemed to drift through my (possibly) previous life.
I remembered my life as a child… living at the adoption home… living with the orphans until one day a family decided to adopt me, the first time I ever got beat…

I let out the memories that have been locked for twelve years.

‘Avery, Avery where are you?’ Hollered my current caretaker. I cannot exactly pinpoint his name but I think it sounded like salmon.
I yelled out where I was and I heard his footstep thudding up the staircase. I was pretty sure that he was an ok guy but as I learned later looks can be deceiving.
I heard the door slowly creak forward in my room and I saw him standing there with an expressionless face until all his features changed when he locked eyes with me. It was as though his whole being could change in 2 seconds…

His face turned into one of anger and hatred as he beat me until I was left unconscious on the floor. I had later found out that he had told his wife that he had found me outside like this and brought me in. Of course, I never spoke of it again, nor did any of the family because that’s the reason I moved on to another family.

From that point on, my life got worse and worse as it seemed as though every family had something against me.

All together… I went through 9 adoptive families; each worse than the last. I motioned through my younger years with much more pain then a young child should.