"Are You Down?"

Chlöe's P.O.V.

I didn't know who that was that texted my sister. But she ran out of my room like she had left a pot of beans on the stove! I thought maybe it was that Darryl boy, but she hadn't been talking about him much. She mostly talked about Megan on our way home from school. About how she's glad she met her and how it seems like they've known each other forever. She said to me, "If Megan was a guy, I would marry her!" That's how much she adored her new friend....

I wondered if she had a girl crush on Megan. Well let me be real, I KNEW she had a girl crush on Megan! When we were at lunch I noticed how she kept staring into Megan's eyes with a dreamy expression on her face. She hung on to every word Megan spoke and laughed at every silly thing she said. Halle was star-struck! As if Megan was some famous person or something.

I was going to ask Halle about it, but I didn't want to make her feel uncomfortable. Halle had never mentioned anything to me about having attractions to girls...But at the same time, I've never mentioned anything to her about me having attractions to girls. I wished we had parents like Lauren's parents who would accept us. Because truthfully, I've never really experienced romantic or sexual feelings towards guys. I thought maybe it was because I was too consumed with my religion and education. At least that was the excuse I would use when people would ask why I wasn't dating anyone. A few Muslim boys were interested in me, I just wasn't interested in them.

I knew Halle had snuck down to the basement to talk on the phone. I picked up my phone to text her and ask who she was talking to, but then I received a text. A group text actually from Normani and Lauren. My heart began to beat rapidly. These two are beyond beautiful! But I told myself to calm down..."You can't be gay and you can't have a crush on a couple, stupid!", I said to myself.

Lauren: "Hey, Chlöe...How are you, love?"

Normani: "Hope you don't mind being added to a group text. I told Lauren people hate that! 🙄"

Chlöe: "Lol! It's fine. I was sitting here bored so I'm glad to be texted. What y'all up to?"

Lauren: "No good...😏"

Normani: "Lauren, please! Don't scare her away! 😭"

Chlöe: "😂...At least she's honest!"

Normani: "A little too much for me sometimes! But I love her anyway. 🙄"

Lauren: "You better, Mani Bear! 😉 So Chlöe, are you excited to come spend next weekend with Mani and I?"

Chlöe: "I am...but my parents want to meet you and your parents first...🙄"

Lauren: "No worries, love! They can meet them this weekend actually. I'll tell my parents I want to invite a Muslim friend from school and her parents over for dinner. They'll love that shit! 💁🏻‍♀"

Normani: "You're so slick, Lo! 😂"

Chlöe: "She really is! Because I already know my parents are going to love it, too! But please tell your parents not to tell my parents you're gay. They won't let me come over if they know that you are..😔"

Lauren: "Oh we already know, boo! I've lost other Muslim friends for being gay. So I've learned to be selective when sharing my sexuality now. I know who can handle it and who can't. 🤷🏻‍♀"

Chlöe: "Cool! Normani, do you have a religion?"

Normani: "Actually, I don't believe in organized religion. I'm more spiritual than religious. But I don't knock you, Lauren and Halle for being Muslim. And I don't knock Beyoncé and Onika for being Christians."