Imperfect

Griffins Pov

   I was called to the counsellors office in 6th period. Mrs.Whitmire was sitting behind her desk, a smile on her face.

  "Hello Griffin!" She said. Her voice was filled with enthusiasm.

"Hello?" I said back. "Why do always screw things up. Who says 'Hello?'" I thought.

" Take a seat, kiddo" she said, motioning to a chair across from her desk.

  "So, Griffin. Your teachers said that you aren't as engaged or happy in class. Why is that?"

I didn't say anything.

"Maybe because Harper is missing?"

"I guess so."

"Well,do I have a surprise for you!"

"What?"

"The orchestra thinks you should join! Apparently, your bass guitar and cello are similar. Wouldn't you like to join?"

"I guess so?"

"Great! I'll make an adjustment to your schedule. Instead of having 2 math classes, you'll have orchestra for 5th period. You start tomorrow."

  After this conversation, I left and went to the bathroom. I looked in the mirror. I could see dark,purple bags under my eyes.

  "Go cut yourself, piece of shit. Everyday you walk around looking like an orphan."

My brain is probably right, it's not like I actually look ok. "Tomorrow, I'll be a cellist.," I thought. I read somewhere that cellists were cool. Maybe I'll look better.

  After arriving home and putting my stuff away, I went into to lobby. My mom stood behind the counter, logging in guests.

  "Guess what."  I said.

"What?"

"I'm joining orchestra." I said flatly.

"That's wonderful!" My mom said with cheer. "When do you start?"

"Tomorrow, 5th period."

"What instrument?"

"Cello."

"How nice! My son, a cellist."

     I didn't know this at the time, neither did my mom, but cello strings are great for slitting wrists.