twelve. ticking

| twelve | ticking

| twelve | ticking

And every time, every time you go
It's like a knife that cuts right to my soul

"This is Yoon Saebom, Commander Yoon Saebom of the SOU. Does anyone copy-over."

"..... hht-.... sta..."

"Commander Yoon Saebom, does anyone copy?"

".......shshas...."

This was getting hopeless. Static was all Saebom could hear over the walkie talkie and after trying for the tenth time, the kids were giving up on the hope that someone could save them. Saebom however took a deep breath, trying again as she pushed the PTT button.

"Does anyone copy, Commander Yoon Saebom here."

"Hello! Commander Saebom? Is it you for real, over."

The kids surrounded Saebom immediately, Nara held her mother's hand who smiled at her. "Yes this her, is this Base 2-1-2 over?"

"Yes, this is 2-1-2, may I know your identity number. Over."

Saebom narrated a series of number that identified her as the commander indeed. "This is me, I am stuck here with-"

"Commander, I am sorry to say but we have your number enlisted for court martial. You do know you are blacklisted. Over."

"Listen, I know I am to be executed and I am ready to do so." Saebom was getting impatient, however Nara was getting nervous at that statement. What did it mean that her mother was to be executed? And for what? "This is a crisis, please hear me out. Over."

There was a static another as they all waited for the response.

"The nation is in crisis, Commander."

"I have kids here, high school students, one injured woman, please come save them." Saebom was holding the hem of her hoodie tightly, she was angry and helpless and she hated being at the mercy of anyone. "Please, atleast for them. Over."

There was muffled conversation over the static again and Saebom gritted her teeth, she knew the condition was worsening everywhere but she had to keep the kids safe. "Input your co-ordinates after this conversation and we shall get back to you. Over."

Saebom had no other option but to input the co-ordinates of through the compass that came with the walkie talkie and ended the conversation whilst all of the others looked at her. The three kids looked at her with hope and despair so she smiled at them, shaking them off of their miseries.

"Ya, why are you guys so sad. We should be glad, we had a successful communication? Arachi? Ae-sol baby, cheer up." Saebom patted Ae-sol's head in an attempt to cheer the girl but she shook her head.

"Emo," Ae-sol met Saebom's eyes, whilst the former had teary red eyes, Saeboms's were still determined. "What did they mean by executing you?"

Saebom was dumbfounded at that direct question. She looked at Woo-Taek who was quietly waiting for her answer and then at Nara who looked both pissed and teary, just like she was. "Aniyo," Saebom denied, shaking her head with a cute smile to waive the matter away. "It is just some fancy military term, hardly means anything." She lied to them with a face that was so easy to trust but she'd rather lie than burden them with more trauma.