seven. sidekick

| seven | sidekick

| seven | sidekick

I'm gonna stand by you
even if we're breaking down
we can find a way to
breakthrough

The little gang were on a dark road, they were out of school, yet the chaos, the screams, the blood and the dead were running on their minds. Yi-Hyun was driving past empty roads, isolated vehicles, and what seemed like a very unpleasant eerie silence. Yi-Hyun often looked at his kids, and all his problems would get a new light, a new solution and this time, he would do anything to get his kids out from here. Saebom held So-cheol's hand, gently holding it as she did when her kids were small and tiny. She remembered how she could fit both of them in her arms. At difficult times, her twins have been her support and now, it was her time to give them the best of life, even if it meant facing gruesome creatures. 

Nara was eyeing the darkness from the car window, they were on an unknown road, the city streets were all jammed with vehicles and dead bodies and they could not get past it. She felt extremely on edge with the fact that this might be the end of the world, she did not want to die this soon. So-cheol was very anxious, his anxieties always cornered him and there was hardly anything to do when his breathing pace sped up and vision blurred. Holding his mother's soft hand always helped him, before her, it was Nara's hugs. 

Woo-Taek who sat next to So-cheol, sighed, terribly scared of the fate they held, afraid anytime they might just die. Tae-man had never been this quiet in his life, being a comedic relief for others is what he loved doing. Tae-man had faced a great share of miseries back in his days and hence he loved being hilarious only so others could ease up but right now, he was lost. Kim Yoo-jung or their banjang could not help but cry, everything was too surreal for her and she had seen her classmates being destroyed in mere seconds. Ae-seol on the other hand was numb, she felt nothing, all she did was be ghostly there in the corner of the jeep, it truly was a nightmare. Kim Chi-yeol hardly felt anything, except regret and pain. His camera was with him, the way he held onto it more than the rifle said a lot about his priorities. How could he let it go, it had the recordings of them all. 

The jeep stopped suddenly, jerking all of them out of their seat. Saebom frowned, touching Yi-hyun's shoulder, "is everything okay?" She asked, the rest of the kids looked at the them.

"No, I am afraid the jeep will give up, there is hardly any fuel in it." Collective sighs were heard from the exhausted group, they looked out of the car. It was too deserted for a busy road, not a single soul, not even a drop of a pin could be heard. "I guess, taking shelter somewhere is better than being stranded in the car, what do you think Sae?" 

Saebom left So-cheol's hand, patting him lovingly, "you are right, we should find some shelter." She readied the rifle, checking for bullets, "stay here with the kids, I'll check if there's any." Nara and So-cheol both turned at the same time, Nara was quiet but So-cheol held his mother's hand. He shook his head, this was not what he needed right now. 

Nara looked at his twin, she knew he was anxious at the moment and felt the need to hug him. So-cheol calmed down whenever she hugged him, but that was years ago.

"Ani," Yi-Hyun took the rifle from the dashboard, adding the set of bullets, "you stay here with the kids, I'll check." Yi-hyun pointedly looked at So-cheol and Saebom understood, so she sat back, rubbing So-cheol's arm. He then turned towards the lot, "don't worry kids, I'll be back soon." With that he looked at Saebom one last time, just in case anything happened to him and then at his twins.

Yi-Hyun loaded the rifle, pointing at the surroundings with the torch. The positives of being a police captain was having all things handy for emergencies. The sudden shutting of the car door gave him a jump scare as he turned to point at the very stubborn Nara who walked towards him, aiming everywhere around. He walked towards her, "Nara, go sit in the car. Appa will handle this." 

"You need a sidekick," Nara said, eyes everywhere to be cautious, "and if you think you are going without me, then you are mistaken Ajhussi." Yi-Hyun felt both extremely proud of his daughter's bravery and that fatherly urge to protect her. 

"Take her," Saebom said, rolling the window down, a small smile on her face. "Our daughter is way too brave than you give her credit for." Saebom and So-cheol were looking at them in hope and gleam. Nara suppressed the smile. The warm feeling she felt whenever she saw her mother and brother was unbelievably strong. 

"Fighting," So-cheol said, raising his fist and they rolled the windows up. 

"They'll be okay right?" Tae-man asked, he did not want anymore deaths. 

"Should we also go to help?" Kim-Chi asked, feeling guilty. "We can shoo-"

"YA," Saebom turned at the lot, the angry mother mode was on. "You all need to act like kids, yes? And leave the work to the adults." She smiled at them, her smile really helped them chin up. Ae-sol felt tears streaming on her face. "Don't worry kiddos, as long as I am there, I promise, nothing will happen to any of you. You will all get through this, its a SOU Squad Commander's promise, arrachi?" 

The kids nodded, wiping their faces while Saebom handed them the bottle of water she kept, asking them to each take a sip and sit back. Kim Chi-yeol was worried for the duo, more so when they did not arrive within ten minutes as they promised they would. If anything happened to Nara, he would never forgive himself for lying to her that he did not like her. 

"Omma, its been-"

"Shhhh," Saebom calmed her son, she was imagining a thousand scenarios in her head already but staying calm for the kids was the need of the hour. "Appa and Nara will be here soon, why don't you guys check your rifles and let me know the count of ammunition you have, yeah?" That kept them busy while Saebom crossed her two fingers, if anything happened to the duo, she did not know what she'd do.

Yi-Hyun and Nara were scanning the empty road, the deserted place did not have much of street lights and what they had was too dim to see in the dark. From the farther corner, Nara spotted a little house with light on. They decided it best to go check it, walking carefully and slowly, watching each other's backs and hardly making any noise. So far, they encountered nothing, although the house seemed a bit bigger when they approached it. 

"Appa," Nara spoke when they entered the courtyard of the house, Yi-Hyun eyeing the place, rifle aimed at the roof, then at the backyard. "I just wanted to-" 

"Yes?" Yi-Hyun faced his daughter, even in times of crisis, listening to what Nara had to say seemed important to him for the girl hardly spoke. 

"Ani," Nara looked at her father's big eyes, he had aged gracefully and his eyes were always so soft and warm. She wanted to thank him, thank her mother for coming to get them but she did not know how. "Just-" 

But Yi-Hyun shushed her, listening intently to something. Nara frowned, watching her father tip toe towards the entrance, the door was open and Yi-Hyun signaled to Nara to be alert. The lights were on, there was no screeching nor was there anyone else in the very disheveled house. Things were strewn around, clothes hastily thrown, the house hardly seemed like there was someone living in it. They entered the living room, Yi-Hyun scanning the right, Nara on the left, they went through every corner of the house, guns ready while their hearts beating rapidly. 

Nara came across a cabinet, a slow whimper and huffed breathing froze her. She gulped, nervously, nevertheless pacing herself for whatever there was inside. She touched the cold cabinet door, opening it all at once, rifle ready to fire but she let out a scream when she saw a bloodied hand reaching out to her. Yi-Hyun ran immediately to his daughter, rifle ready and aiming when he saw Nara back off from the cabinet. 

He pointed the rifle at the cabinet, pushing Nara behind him, "show yourself," He asked the person to get out, and Yi-Hyun lowered his gun when the girl trapped inside fell out of it. 

"please help," she whimpered, holding her injured arm, "please." 

_