Chapter 14

Ekim woke up to Ayla's crying. She moved away from the door to give him space to enter.
Ekim: Come in, Kanat!
Kanat walked in and closed the door.
Kanat: Why is she crying heavily?
Ekim: I think she's hungry. I'll prepare her baby bottle now.
Kanat: Let me carry her until you finish then.
Ekim nodded and handed Ayla to him, giving him the pacifier to calm her down a little. She entered the kitchen, and Kanat sat with Ayla on his lap in the living room. He looked at Ekim and saw that she was busy, so he turned his attention to Ayla, who was sucking on the pacifier and calming down. He took out a small pair of scissors from his pocket and considered cutting a strand of Ayla's hair. However, he thought that Ekim might notice it, so he left the strand and instead cut a single hair.

He put it in a small plastic bag and hid it, along with the scissors, back in his pocket. Then he started checking on Ayla. He examined her features, noting that she looked exactly like Ekim. He smiled and kissed her head, resting it against his chest. Ekim came out of the kitchen and took Ayla from his hands. She sat next to him and put the baby bottle in Ayla's mouth. She then turned to Kanat and smiled.
Ekim: Did something happen? I mean, you came suddenly, so I got worried.
Kanat: I just missed you. We couldn't be together today, that's why!
Ekim smiled and nodded, then turned her attention back to Ayla before speaking again.
Kanat: Aren't you feeding her yourself?
Ekim: I do sometimes, but she has medications, so I'm forced to mix them with milk.
Kanat: Is her condition that bad? What did the doctor say last time?

Ekim: My mom took her to the doctor while we were on the trip. He told her that her condition is stable now, but there's still a possibility that the surgery might need to be done earlier than planned.
Ekim said with tears, looking at Ayla. Kanat got up and kissed Ekim's head.
Kanat: I'll go to the bathroom.
Ekim smiled and nodded, feeling something strange, but she couldn't figure out what it was. Kanat entered the bathroom and locked the door. He looked at himself sadly in the mirror, trying to take deep breaths to calm down. He washed his face and left the bathroom. When he came out, Ekim was getting up.
Kanat: Where to?
Ekim: She fell asleep, so I'll put her in her bed.
Kanat: Can I come with you?
Ekim: Sure, come in!
They went to Ekim's room, and Ekim placed Ayla in her bed.

Ekim: I always sleep with her in my arms. That's why it was so hard to sleep during the week of the trip.
Kanat went and hugged her from behind, kissing her cheek and resting his head on her shoulder.
Kanat: You're an amazing mother!
Ekim smiled and turned to hug him. After sitting there for a while, they went out again.
Kanat sat at the table while Ekim made tea and some fast food. They sat together in silence until Kanat broke it.
Kanat: I know I said I wouldn't talk about the past, but... I'm curious about-
Ekim: Ayla's father or how it happened, right?
Kanat nodded.
Kanat: I'm not forcing you, but-
Ekim: I was celebrating my graduation two years ago. I saw him at a nightclub.
Kanat: Which nightclub?
Ekim: You might not know it!
Kanat: I know all the nightclubs in Istanbul, Ekim!
Ekim swallowed.

Ekim: It wasn't in Istanbul. It was... outside of the city.
Kanat immediately knew she was lying, but he didn't want to confront her.
Kanat: And then?
Ekim: I was always very shy and isolated in my life. There were only a few people in my life. But that day, I decided to be bold for the first time. I was drunk, not too much actually because I was aware of what I was doing. I saw him that day, and he kept staring at me. Then he called me, and I went to him. He approached me and gave me a drink. It was strong, but I drank it. I started to feel a bit unaware, and at that time, he suggested going to a room, and I agreed. Then it happened.
Kanat was reliving every moment of that night as she spoke. Her gaze at him conveyed that she intended to share the details to make him remember.
Kanat: And then?
Ekim: I woke up the next day, but he wasn't there! There was nothing related to him, no name or number, just a sum of money on the table.