Chapter 8

Ekim: What... What are you doing, Mr. Kanat?
Kanat was looking at her slyly, shifting his gaze between her lips and eyes. Ekim swallowed nervously, and Kanat smiled.
Kanat: Have you ever thought about having a baby before, Ekim?
Ekim looked at him questioningly.
Kanat: I mean, after Ayla was born, didn't you consider having another child?
Ekim: N... No?
Kanat: How about now? Would you consider having another child?
Ekim: What do you mean?
Kanat's sly gaze turned to anger, making Ekim nervous.
Kanat: I mean, a sibling for Ayla. Can't that happen, Mrs. Ekim?
Ekim: Mr. Kanat, I...
Kanat: Yes, you! You told me such a big lie. I'm wondering what else you've lied about.
Ekim remained silent, but tears welled up in her eyes.

Kanat: Say something, Ekim!
Ekim: How... How did you find out?
Kanat: Is that what's important now? How did I find out!
Ekim: Ozan, right?
Kanat tightened his grip on Ekim's arm, but kept his voice under control.
Kanat: Yes, Ozan told me. But you know what? I always suspected that there must be something wrong with you and your family. The way you act around Ayla, your mother's strange glances, your exaggerated care for her despite the existence of your mother and brother. Every time it crossed my mind, I pushed it away, thinking it was impossible for someone to tell so many lies. But you made the impossible, Ekim! You're the first person I've ever seen who can create such lies and stories in just a few minutes. You're so skilled at it.
Ekim: I know I made a mistake by lying to you, but I had to...
Kanat tightened his grip on Ekim's arm even more.

Kanat: Why did you have to, Ekim? Why did you hide it?
Ekim: Because they said you don't hire married or having children girls, and I need this work, so... so I had to lie.
Kanat loosened his grip on Ekim and stepped back, giving her space to breathe.
Kanat: Where's her father?
Ekim lowered her gaze and bit her lip. She spoke in a low voice.
Ekim: I don't know.
Kanat: What? What did you say?
Ekim: I said I don't know.
Kanat: How can't you know where her father is, Ekim? Did he divorce you? Or are you still married and he left you?
Ekim: None of them. We weren't married.
Kanat felt so angry and jealous and tightened his grip on her arm, which made her freak out.
Kanat: What do you mean by that? Is he Ozan?

Ekim: No! No, not Ozan!
Kanat: Who then, Ekim?
Ekim: I don't know! It was a mistake, and I didn't meet him again!
Kanat looked at her in disbelief, shocked by what she said.
Kanat: Are you aware of the hell you're saying? Do you know what your words mean? Do you know what we call this type of woman, Ekim?
Ekim: Mr. Kanat! Don't dare to say something else, or I would be so fucking rude!
Kanat: How rude could you be, Ekim? You lied to me, and I discovered that she's your daughter! I'm asking you about her father, and you said you don't know! I'm asking if he left you, you say that it was a one-night mistake!!! What a fucking mistake? Forget about yourself, didn't you think of Ayla? How would she live in our society without knowing who her father is? Don't you know that this shame will always follow her? How could you be so selfish? And you're threatening me to be more rude! Was I wrong about what we call these women, Ekim?

Ekim: Enough, and don't say anything else that you might regret later!
Kanat: Why would I regret? Did I make a mistake to you?
Kanat said angrily. Ekim looked at him, and tears still glazed her eyes. Kanat urged her to defend herself and say something, but Ekim remained silent. Suddenly, Ekim's phone rang, she pulled her arm from Kanat's grip and took out her phone from her pocket. It was Alanur.
Ekim: Yes?... What happened again??? Okay, okay, I'm coming now!
Ekim hung up the call and was leaving in a hurry, but Kanat held her.
Kanat: What's wrong? Is Ayla okay?
Ekim looked at him and tears already fell from her eyes.
Ekim: She's in the hospital.
Kanat: Okay, I'll come with you.
Ekim looked at him surprised. Kanat took his jacket and phone and opened the door.

Kanat: Come on, Ekim! Why are you still standing?
Ekim regained consciousness and left with him. She walked hastily and Kanat followed her. All workers were looking at them, including Eda, Melisa's friend, who immediately sent her a message telling her. They reached the hospital, and Ayla was in pediatrics. Alanur wasn't there, Ekim kept watching Ayla from the glass as the doctor was inside. She leaned her head against the glass and cried. Kanat looked at her sadly and approached her. He pulled her arm and rested her head on his chest.
Kanat: Okay, calm down! She will be fine!
Ekim: She is still too young! She is too young for this suffering!
Kanat remained silent and patted her shoulder and back. Alanur arrived at that time and saw them. She hesitated to interrupt or not, but Kanat already saw her. Kanat patted Ekim's shoulder gently, pointing at her mother.
Kanat: Your mother is here.
Ekim turned and saw Alanur. She went to her and hugged her.