I Didn't Mean It - Part 23

Camilo POV:

  The sun filtered in through the small windows, harshly shaking me awake. My eyes cracked open for only a second before my body gave up on waking up. The sun is still rising, can you believe it? After everything I’m just supposed to wake up and continue on.
  I wonder, will it always hurt? What kind of question is that? Of course it will. I peeled my body from the soft oasis that I previously rested in.

  My siblings were sitting on the floor, the moment I moved the two of them crawled over beside the small armchair I was still debating on getting out of.

“Good morning, Camilo!” they said in unison.

“I’m glad you’re awake! I haven’t seen you sleep in this much for a while,” Dolores chuckled before continuing, “ We still need to find Mirabel and for that we need everyone.”

  I scoffed in response before rolling away from the two of them. How could she expect me to go back there?

“Camilo, we need to find her.”

“She caused all of this, didn’t she? Then SHE ran away. I don’t understand how that’s my problem.” I yelled.

“Fine.” Dolores said sternly, grabbing Antonio.

  Their footsteps getting quieter and quieter before stopping, “He wouldn’t have done that if he didn't care about her.”

                   My eyes shot open.

  I threw the blanket away from me and got onto my feet, quick as I could, but they were already gone. The adrenaline ran throughout my body.
  I bawled my hands into fists and slammed them down onto the once peaceful armchair.

I’m sorry.

Tears stung at my eyes again.

I’m sorry.

The tears rolled down my face.

I’m sorry, Mira.

There was no point in holding it back anymore.

I’m sorry, Y/N.

I didn't mean to.

The tears dropped off of my face onto the arm chair.

I’m sorry.

The dark puddles grew in number the longer I pondered.

I’ll find her.

I’ll help everyone as much as I can.

  I used what little strength was left to use my voice, “That’s what you were trying to do, right?”

I steadied my breathing and let the tears continue falling. I raised my arm to wipe them away.
  After enough time, I regained my composure and started towards the front door of Andrès’ house.
  My pace slowed slightly as I passed Y/N’s room before coming to a complete stop.
The closed door.
  I shook my head and in an instant ripped my gaze from the door.
I’ll find Mira.
I furrowed my brows and continued out of Andrès’ house. I trudged up the path to the remnants of Casita only to find that some of the family had beaten me to it.
  I thought they’d all be out searching but I guess they’re taking a break? I continued forward until I was standing in front of Mama.

“Good morning, Milo!” she laughed with a forced smile.

“Good morning.”

  For some reason my response left her expression blank, but only for a second.
That strained smile returned onto her face,

“So, what are your plans for today?”

“I was planning to look for Mirabel.”

“Oh…Are you sure?”

“What do you mean?”

  Mama’s eyes darted around while she thought of her answer, the fake smile never leaving her face.

“We’re going to look around and see what’s left of Casita. See if there’s anything from our rooms, ya know? You’re more than welcome to help if you’d like to do something like that instead.”

Why?
Why doesn’t she want me to go look for Mira?
  Casita, well what’s left of Casita, was supposed to be my starting point since this is the last place Mirabel was seen. The last place Y/N was seen.

“Camilo,” Mama’s voice rang in my ears, “Maybe you should just get some rest today.”

“No, I’m alright! Same old Camilo Madriguel!” I tried sounding cheerful but Mama’s eyebrows creased upwards.

“If you insist on doing something please just search around here, at least then I can keep an eye on you.” a soft chuckle escaped her.

  I decided not to argue and to simply nod. I’m still helping. Surely Mirabel will come back and if not, there’s still plenty of people looking for her.
  I feel like I should be too. Mirabel is very important to me and EUGH especially after what I said earlier.

I didn't mean it. I didn’t mean any of it.

Mirabel, please come home.

--------
745 words