nine

waking up the next day, i nearly forgot about what happens at midsummers.

i wasn't sure what i should do.  i mean, surely sarah hates me now. i can't blame her. i would hate myself too.

instead of facing my problems, i decided to turn to the person who i went to anytime i needed an escape from reality.

"jj," i speak into my phone.

"hey, cal. what's up?"

"wanna smoke?"

"hell yeah. you know i'm always down for some wake and bake action," he replies, causing me to laugh.

"text me when you get here."

"okay," i can hear him smiling on the other end, "bye, callie bear."

"shut up," i laugh before hanging up.

i got ready, throwing on a tank top and a pair of athletic shorts and waited.  i refrained from putting on any lip gloss, as jj loved to complain when the joint got too sticky.

he arrived shortly after.  his hair was messy, like it usually was.  i let him inside, to which he wrapped me in a hug.  sometimes i wonder how i've never fallen in love with jj.  i guess the rules just get in the way.

my dad sat in his office.  the door was cracked open, allowing jj and him to say hi to each other.  surprisingly, my father was understanding of jj's home situation and tragic relationship with his own dad.  i was the only person jj had told, and when he showed up to swim in our pool with bruises on his chest, i told my dad the truth.

i would forever be grateful that my father liked jj, along with my other friends.  i know kie wasn't so lucky.

we decided on taking the boat as to not raise any suspicions from my dad.  i used the thing more than he did, so he would never recognize the smell of weed lingering on the leather seats.

as we begin to move slowly through the water, i become unable to stop thinking about the night before.

"do you wanna hear about last night?" i ask.

he leans forward in his seat, "oh, do i? i live for it."

i summarize everything as best as i can, including the part where john b and sarah have secretly been a thing for god knows how long. but instead of saying anything about that, he yells, "you're fucking rafe cameron?"

"no," i gasp.

"oh my god, callie," his jaw is practically on the floor.

"i don't even know why i did it," i rub my forehead and i feel like rafe, all stressed out.

"like, what the actual fuck," i add.

"i've always known he was into you," he shrugs.

"really?"

"yeah," he says in a 'duh' tone.

"mr. coke fein has wanted you for years, cal," he adds.

rafe had always made comments to me.  things like what he did when i bent over by the cooler at the party.  i never thought about the fact that it could mean more than just him being a horny fuckboy.

"well, he is hot," i shrug.

"focus," jj laughs, "what are you gonna do about sarah?"

"that's why i need you," i groan.

"i mean, you shouldn't feel bad for what you said.  she hit you, you hit her.  it's only fair."

jj had a point.  sarah and i both made mistakes.  we both kept secrets.  we both did bad things.  but still, i wanted to fix things.  i couldn't stand the thought of losing her as a friend, no matter how bad kie wanted me to let her go.