"what do you think?" [newt 1]

the council hall roared with all the gladers' voices. thomas ran into the maze, and someone in particular wasn't too happy about it. gally hated the fact that everyone seemed to side with thomas. "he ran the maze. broke the rules! are you guys seriously going to think anything he did was okay!?" gally argued. random voices agreed, some disagreed.

you sat back, out of the circle they unintentionally created. you were quiet. being loud just wasn't your thing, and trying to express your opinion was difficult. so you learned to just not try. you hoped someone would eventually say what you were thinking. if no one did, you'd get over it.

"he deserves a punishment!" Gally demanded. getting the ones who disagreed, all rallied up once more. gladers argued back and forth.

newt tried to argue his case and defend the greenie. but he couldn't hear himself speak. he couldn't even hear himself think. he glanced around his eyes, meeting you. you sat up straight. your mouth hung half open like you wanted to say something, but the loudness stopped you. you looked down, finding a little patch of grass growing in the ground. a little flower was there. you picked it, holding it in your hand.

"STOP." newt yelled hesitantly. though worked, quiting everyone down. everyone looked in his direction, even you. he stood awkwardly.

he sighed as he turned towards you. "what do you think?" he asked, raising his eyebrows at you.

you gulped, looking around at everyone, who now looked at you. "um.." you mumbled. with how silent it was, everybody heard it. you looked back at newt, who gave you a nod. "if he knows a way out, I say we make him a runner."

"then we make him a runner. end of discussion." newt said before anyone could argue it.

as people slowly made their way out, he turned towards you. he gave you a small smile in which you returned. you stood up following after fry who told you, you both had to start on dinner.

newt would be the last to leave. he turned to where you sat, seeing the small flower that laid on the bench. he made his way over to pick it up, smiling the whole way.

----

i truly didn't do newt justice with this one, better newt imagines will be coming!!