Kabanata 24

Kabanata 24

Accidental Infidelity

"You have arrived at your destination," my GPS announced as my car stopped in front of the establishment. Inayos ko muna ang pagka-park ng aking sasakyan bago ako lumabas. I carried all of the needed documents with me.

Napangiwi ako nang maramdaman ang mahapding init ng araw sa aking balat. I immediately hurried towards the building of Fabroa Auctions. Sa entrance ay naroon ang kanilang security guard at pinagbuksan ako ng pinto.

There was another hallway after guard opened the crystal door. May mahabang carpet sa sahig at ang mga dingding ay may nakasabit na iilang art pieces. There are also antique tall vases along the way with intricate curves and waves plastered on them.

The heavy double door was fully opened at the end of the hall. Pagpasok ko palang ay sinalubong na ako ng higanteng estatwa na naroon. I think it was made of wood considering the color and the shine it gives. Tumigil ako para pagmasdan iyon. My eyes dropped on the name of the piece, and it says there, The Prophet, with the name of the artist.

"Hey," someone approached me from behind. Bahagyang tumaas ang balikat ko sa gulat. Again, a familiar chuckle followed afterwards. Nilingon ko si Diego na biglang tumabi sa akin. His hands were inside the pockets of his pants as he stared at the wooden statue.

I blinked. He looked like he had been through some hurdles before he came here. Pansin kong bahagyang nangingitim ang ilalim ng kaniyang mata. Maybe he's tired from work? I heard that the shooting of the music video will take four days. Kaya nga nagulat din ako nang sabihin niyang pupunta rin siya rito.

"Are you okay?" I can't help but asked. Nilingon niya ako, kunot ang noo.

"Why?"

"Um, you look tired. Baka pagod ka pa dahil sa shoot ninyo."

He put a hand on his neck and massaged it. He let out a breath of relief as if he put a pressure on the right point.

"We finished the shoot yesterday so I was kind of worked up. Couldn't sleep."

But he had the energy to come here today? Siya rin 'yong nagpresenta na sasamahan niya ako kahit hindi naman kailangan. He reasoned out that he wanted to check on something so he was hitting two bird with one stone.

"Paano mo pala nakilala ang owner ng Fabroa auctions? Hindi ba't sila rin 'yong host ng auction the last time?"

Tumango si Diego. "My cousin loves going to auctions and gallery art. He has the connections, hindi ako."

Ah, that must be the cousin who got him tickets for the exhibit. Naalala ko na naman 'yong painting ng cousin niya na bahagya kong inapi.

Diego and I walked upstairs as he said the office was there. Hindi na lang ako nagtanong kung paano niya nalamang hiring ang Fabroa Auctions. I just want to stop myself from asking a lot of questions from him. Pwede niya namang pabayaan na lang ang pinsan ko sa sinabi but he nonchalantly helped. Hindi ko rin alam kung ano ang nakain ni Lean at humingi ng tulong sa kaniya. I knew there was something going on with the two of them.

"Don't worry, Kori is a nice person."

"Kori?" I queried.

"Korazana Fabroa. She's the current owner of Fabroa Auctions."

Ang daming mga furnitures na naka-display sa second floor nang makaakyat na kami. Some finer pieces were displayed on the wall. May mga naka-glass case naman na miniature collection.

Diego knocked on the frosted glass door and we heard a reply. Diego pushed the door open and revealed a women sitting on a swivel chair while facing her laptop. When she heard the door closed, she looked up at us. The lady was familiar with me because she had a speech during the auction's night. Naalala kong gandang-ganda ako sa kaniya dahil bukod sa matangkad, mukhang artistahin o beauty queen din ang ganda. She had a perfectly arch brows and almond eyes that anyone could fall for. Her nose high and narrow accentuates her features more. Ang mga labi ay bagay sa mas mapupulang kulay. I had a fairer complexion than her.