39. Accepting

DANTE

I freeze. Everything in my body stops working. All that consumes me are words so impossible I know I must have imagined hearing them.

Eve looks up at me from the bed, her hair splayed across the pillows making her look like a mystical angel. Her cheeks flush and she bites her bottom lip with uncertainty that makes me suddenly certain I must have heard right.

"Say it again Eva," I demand holding her eyes, listening to her racing heartbeat for any sign that this is a lie, some game, or subterfuge.

She looks at me nervously then reaches forward with a trembling hand cupping my bearded chin with one hand, the other sliding around my neck and pulling herself closer to me. My arm automatically winds around her waist, my heart pounding in my chest.

"I love you, Dante. Truthfully I don't even know why. You're such an ass." she says with a painful chuckle but her eyes hold mine fiercely.

"I see you, Dante Black. I see the good there is in you and I love you. All of you. The good and the bad."

I close my eyes leaning forward bowing my head on her shoulder, releasing the breath I didn't even know I was holding. She runs her hands through my hair, stroking me gently and something cracks inside me.

I feel a surge of emotions pouring out of the fissures. They rise and swell until they overflow.

"I don't deserve you at all," I whisper stroking her hair.

"You deserve whatever it is I choose to give you Dante, and I chose to give you and our pup a chance for the life the goddess intended us to have when she mated us."

The earnestness of her voice, so soft and beautiful is almost too much for me to bear. She is and has always been a light in the darkness and I have spent so much time in the darkness her light has terrified me. But no more.

"I need to show you something." The decision comes out of nowhere but this time I don't doubt it. It's the right thing to do. If Eva loves me then she needs to know the truth.

Everything.

I lean back pulling my weight off her and pulling her dress down. Fuck I didn't even get her undressed. I fucked her like a teenager with no finesse or patience and I'm embarrassed as fuck about that. That's not how I imagined this going.

As I pull her dress down I notice the smallest swelling where her normally flat stomach lies. With a trembling hand, I cup the swelling over her naked sex.

"Shit I was too rough. Are they okay?" Guilt gnaws at me. She's right I'm an ass, with no consideration. If anything happens to my pups I swear I'll jump off that fucking waterfall. I wouldn't deserve to live.

Eva chuckles and covers my hand. I look up at her surprised she is not more concerned.

"They are fine. They can take quite a pounding I'm told."

"Yeah? Who told you that?" I ask as she gets up and walks to my bathroom to clean up.

"Sisters." She chuckles.

I follow her in grabbing a towel and dampening it.

"Let me clean you up. It's my mess after all."

She shakes her head taking the cloth from me.

"You go grab me some panties from my room. I'll clean up."

I nod and get back bewildered after getting lost in her lingerie drawer containing items that had me reeling.

"Throw that vibrator in the trash, you're never going to need it again," I growl as I hand her a pair of pretty pink cotton panties.

She slips them on with a blush.