5. Crescent City

EVA

"I need to do some shopping," I say as the highway approaches a sign that says Crescent City.

Dante huffs but turns off the highway into the city.

I can't help but stare as the landscape changes from forest to steel and glass, my heart skipping excitedly.

"You've never been to the city before?" Dante asks.

Damn Alpha hearing, he can probably hear my heart.

"No, I haven't. I'm guessing there's a mall somewhere."

"Of course there is." He scoffs.

I ignore him almost gasping as we pass a beautiful multi-story building with a front face of brilliant glass but as we turn a corner a terrace of steel and trees descend from the back of the building to a large park behind.

"That's Bane Tower, where Alpha Bane, Crescent City's Alpha lives," Dante remarks noticing me staring at the beautiful building.

I recognize the name as the Alpha that designed Neo's Alpha house, but I'm not inclined to play nice with Dante just yet.

"I don't need a tour just get me to a mall please." I snap again.

I can't help it. I need to get out of this vehicle. Three suffocating hours so far has been long enough.

Dante broods as he finds is a mall with underground parking.

I hop out as soon as we stop. The city air smells of fumes and a myriad of scents I don't recognize but it is infinitely better that the cloying grip of Dante's scent that does nothing but play evil games with my mental health.

I rush toward an elevator and jolt to a halt as Dante grabs my elbow coming up behind me. I yank my arm away as I press the button.

"Don't touch me." I snap.

"Believe me I do not want to but we are in the city, this place is not like a pack, wolves from across the country come here including rogues, you need to be aware of where you are going and don't talk to anyone."

"I'm a Crystal Moon wolf, I've trained to fight, I'm more than capable of taking care of myself. Your Beta can testify to that." I remind him of the pack raid he had orchestrated during Neo's Alpha assessment, we all woke up in the night with wolves threatening our borders.

Lilith is always one to take on more than she can chew. She set her sights on a large Beta wolf and chased him down. She's the fastest wolf in our pack and she ran him out our borders but did not stop until she caught up with him.

In the fight that followed she managed to snap his forearm in her jaws and he retaliated, throwing her against a boulder that broke her hind leg.

Dante was there leading the raid, he carried me back to the pack where Neo tore him a new asshole.

"I remember." Dante says.

"I also remember he broke your leg so you are not invulnerable."

The elevator door opens and I step into the empty space with a huff.

Dante takes the corner opposite me as we ride the short trip up in silence.

As soon as the doors open I step out into a crowd of moving bodies, for a second almost overwhelmed by the sounds, colors and scents of so many wolves.

Lights from shop windows glow and my eyes scan down a long wide hall buzzing with shoppers taking in the offerings of clothes, shoes and more. I could very well be in heaven.