36. Waterfall

EVA

For the first time in weeks, I'm up before dawn and don't feel like I need to hurl my guts out.

Looking out the small window dawn is barely breaking. A light morning breeze moves the leaves, the storm that's been threatening for weeks retreating for a moment.

The woods beckon me. Lilith hasn't been for a run since I found out I was pregnant. Almost a week now and more than ever I feel her pushing me to shift - we both need this before we will be unable to.

Dante is always a light sleeper but I hope he doesn't hear me as I creep out of the room and out of the cabin. Breathing deep the fresh morning air, I shift quickly letting Lilith out.

She pushes me back and for once I don't mind. I need this space, this time to myself.

Dante is driving me crazy and I have no idea anymore how I feel from one day to the next. I feel like I know less about Dante than I ever did.

He's changed. Like night and day.

Oh for sure he is still the devastatingly sexy wolf. I just look at and find myself imagining him in pornographic detail fucking the life out of me, and boy does he know it.

My hormones are skyrocketing through the tiny cabin's roof.

Yet he does nothing.

His eyes tell me everything. They never leave me when we are together. They skim my skin constantly, burning his desire into me.

But does not touch me.

He's beyond respectful, caring even. Makes my breakfast, and makes sure the cabin is clean. He leaves every morning for breakfast and works at the pack house. I go about my day on my own usually with Melanie, Kaila, or Nancy.

We meet up back at the cabin for dinner which he cooks and then we go our separate ways to bed.

I do my best to disappear into a book but for the life of me, it's impossible. Dante stays up playing his guitar or reading. He is a brilliant guitarist, not the rock and roll kind but the classical kind. His music drifts into my room and I lay on the bed remembering every passionate moment we spent together.

Four weeks. That's how long it's been since we made love. He unleashed something in me and I burn for him. It consumes me and I struggle with every breath in my body to contain it. And yet, as the days roll on I wonder if I want to anymore.

It has to be the damn hormones. Or the full moon. It's a full moon tonight and for the first time in five years, I won't be in heat. I'm almost glad to be pregnant.

There's a restlessness in Lilith this morning as we run through the woods. She finds a trail we haven't been on before and soon I find us running uphill following the sound of water.

I gasp as she steps out of the woods onto a rocky ledge looking down a massive waterfall. A drop of about a hundred feet ends in a turquoise pool of water that churns with the force of the water imploding.

"Get away from there!"

Dante growls, grabbing Lilith by the scruff and pushing her back angrily, his eyes blazing.

Lilith is as surprised as I am, neither of us heard him following and his anger is palatable and fearsome.

"What the fuck are you doing here Eva, do you hate me so much you would want to kill yourself and my pup? Shift!" he commands and the force of his Alpha order has Lilith retreating, shifting me naked on the rocks.

Dante tosses me his shirt which I take, grateful but still shocked at his sudden appearance and out-of-this-world accusations.

"Dante you need to get a grip, we just came from a run, no one is trying to kill themselves!" I shout at him pulling myself away from him as he reaches for me again.