Apologies

I awoke to the sound of a shower running.

Lee.

I was half tempted to join him, but just decided to get dressed and go to the living room.

"Hey Nae." He smiled, the towel around his waist.

"You better get dressed. What if my mom comes home?" I scolded jokingly.

"Good point."

I let the water on the stove heat up when arms wrapped around me. I felt myself folding into his arms.

"What are you doing here Lee?" I turned around to stare into his emerald eyes.

"I missed you." I looked at him waiting for more. Letting out a sigh he continued, "I'm going into the army."

Shock filled my eyes. He always spoke of the army, but I never saw him following through with the idea. I shook it away.

"Oh, okay."

Reaching out to touch me, I flinched.

Bad habbits die hard.

Hurt filled his expression. "I'm not going to hurt you."

"I know." My words barely came out as a whisper.

Over two years of abuse doesn't disappear with making love, or with a promise he's broken a hundred times.

"I've changed. I'm not the same guy Reneè. I want to make it up to you."

"You don't need to do anything." He ruffled with his hair before following me on the couch. Despite my hesitation towards him, I found myself snuggling against him.

He casually ran his fingers through my hair as if it just a week ago we had last seen one another.

"How long are you in town for?"

"A few weeks." He began nibbling on my ear causing my mind to become a blur. "Want to go out tonight?"

I lifted myself off of him to look at him. He was serious. "Where to?"

"There's a bar a few towns west. It seemed nice."

"Oh yeah?" He nodded as he bent down to kiss me.

Checking the clock I noticed it was only seven. I had to be at school in a few hours.

"I better go and get a shower." I began to get up off of the couch to find myself being pulled back down by my waist.

"I just got here." He moaned, a smile on his lips.

"You got here yesterday Lee." I laughed as he kissed my cheek.

"Yeah, I just got here." He reiterated as he pulled me on his lap. Before his lips reached mine, the fire alarm went off.

Shit. I forgot about the water on the stove. It evaporated into steam causing the alarms to go off. Waving the broom in the air, it subsided.

"So much for my hot chocolate." I pouted, crossing my arms around my chest.

"Go shower. Your hot chocolate will be ready for those sweet lips when you're out."

"My lips are not sweet." I corrected. Pulling me by the arms, his lips met mine.

"Very sweet. Now go shower." He spun me around and led me to the shower. "I don't have to get you undressed now do I?" He teased.

"I think I can manage."

My cup of hot chocolate sat in my cup holder as I sped towards school. I was going to be late.

I told Lee to stay in my room as much as he could just in case my parents came home.

Where are you missy? Brooke was a worry wart.

On my way to class now. Ran a little late.

I was a bit hesitant on the idea of telling her why I was late. She would chew me out, and then probably go crazy on Lee.

Walking into class, Brooke waved me down.

"I know where to sit." I chuckled.

"Chelsea wants to talk to you." She pleaded with me with her eyes.

"I'll see her soon enough." my heart surged through my body. I knew what she wanted. She wanted to know why I told Jake he got her pregnant. Technically I didn't, but I was still guilty as charged.

"How's Justin?" I realized how distant I've been from everyone. What a shitty friend I am.

"He's good. Nothing really new on our end of the stick." At least I haven't missed anything.

Second period flew by quickly.

Then again, I did miss half of it.

Chelsea sat in her usual seat in front of me. Jake was across the room. I had no energy for what was coming, but it was inevitable at this point.

"I want you all to be going over the script." Our teacher suggested. Basically we have a free class.

A sigh escaped my mouth as Chelsea turned around.

"You have no right to do that." She glared.

"Do what?"

"Get irritated with me. I told you not to tell him. Hint the word not." She spat the words through her clenched teeth. "I told you. Why would you do that to me?" I took a second to glance over at Jake; his fingers were tapping the desk at a rapid pace.

"Let me get this straight. You cheat on your boyfriend. You get pregnant. You are now upset with me?"

Tears formed in her eyes. "I didn't want him to know."

"Chelsea, he is a cheater. He played me. He played you. Hell, I don't know if there's not a girl he didn't play. He needs to take responsi-"

"No he doesn't!" Her raised voice brought unwanted attention. "Look," she said in a whisper, "my parents are helping me. I don't want to drag him into this. I didn't want to drag him into this. Tiffany is up my butt with this."

"I'm sorry Chels." I fumbled with words in my mind, but kept coming up short.

The rest of the class, I went over lines with Chelsea. It was nice associating with her again. It was a start. I couldn't be sure if we could ever get back our friendship.

Running to my locker before fourth, Tiffany came up to me. Her red hair spiraled into a bun. Her eyes pierced through me as she fought with words she couldn't find.

"Is it true?"