Chapter twenty-eight

I was about to leave my bedroom when I opened the door and was pushed back into the bedroom by Nicolas's hand

I was about to leave my bedroom when I opened the door and was pushed back into the bedroom by Nicolas's hand. I almost spoke and fought against it since it took me a second to realise who it was.

He closed the door behind him, looking right at me before taking my throat in his hand and pressing his lips to mine. I couldn't lie and say that didn't do wonders for me as heat pooled in between my legs.

"You really had to make such an entrance?" I asked, pushing away from him. He smiled before pecking my lips and then taking his hands off of me. He walked around me and sat down on the bed before laying down and exhaling a deep and what sounded anxious breath. "Long day, huh?" I asked as I walked over to him and stood in between his legs. He glanced at me as he put his arms behind his head and smiled.

"I'm feeling fine now," I smiled and climbed on top of him, seeing the way his pupils dilated in an instant, and watched my every move. I straddled him and leaned down, placing my forearms against his chest and then resting my chin on top of it. "What were you up to, fiore mio?" He asked gently, taking one arm out from under his head and then caressing my head with his hand.

"I had a very nice conversation with your mother," his hand stilled on my head as his face turned blank.

"You're moving throughout the entire family now," I chuckled at the words.

"She asked me if I would like to walk my sister down the aisle and then told me a few things about you," his brows rose as his hand threaded itself in my loose hair.

"You'll have to be more specific."

"She began talking about how she would love to have so many more flowers from the garden be used as decorations since she loved them so much. Bust she knew that she couldn't in spite of you," I could just see the drop of disappointment on Nicolas's face. I didn't even want to talk about this if he was so sensitive regarding the subject but I didn't want to lie to him. "She told me that you were twelve when you got your first major panic attract," I added, making him swallow hard.

"She thinks it was the first time," he said, making me pull my head up from my arms. "The first actual panic attack I experienced that I vividly remember was when I was about nine," he said, making my heart feel as though someone slashed a dagger right through it. "It was my father who was present throughout it and he did make sure I was okay; I'll give him that. But he was the reason I had it and then kept having them ever since."

"And he made you swear that you would never tell Aurora?" He nodded as much as it was possible.

"He told me my mother had too much on her plate as Vittoria was still basically a toddler. And I guess I was scared of what he might do to me if I did tell her," I placed my head back down on my arms.

"Why do you fear roses so much?" I asked, hoping he'd give me an answer since it's been burdening me for the longest time.

"It's not the roses I fear, fiore. It's the damn garden that makes me nauseous," he admitted. "I like roses but just not ones that grow here and the ones that decorate an inch of this estate." His hand cupped the side of my face before he started caressing my cheek with the pad of his thumb. "I would rather not get into the details of why that's so," I smiled faintly. The last thing I wanted was to make him tell me something that was burdening him so much despite of my curiosity.