Chapter four

I slammed my bedroom door and collapsed on the bed

I slammed my bedroom door and collapsed on the bed. Everything was beginning to be a little too overwhelming. I was questioning my entire life after he came back into my life.

Fate worked in mysterious ways.

The dark clouds were beginning to cover the sky, thunder striking somewhere far away. I opened my window and leaned out a bit, just enough for my face to feel the cool air. I inhaled deeply, my thoughts calming down from the chaos they were and quite still are. I was beyond tired of this. Two weeks later, I'd be in Italy, under his roof, under his supervision. This was terrifying to me. There was nothing good about this.

How will I be able to live under those circumstances?

The light breeze moved the trees in the far as well as the oak tree in our backyard. I noticed a small bird looking in my direction. A smile tugged my lips.

"Hey, birdie. How's life treating you? My life is shit. Can you believe that piece of shit? How will I be able to live under one roof with him?" The silence was louder than any thunder at this moment. But just like in the movies, it felt as if the bird understood me. Like he read my mind and listened to what I said. He sent me his thoughts by magic and I thought of some assumptions.

"You're right. He won't pay attention to me. He's married," I chuckled. "Oh, sorry, engaged. He sure has a good-looking fiancé. Love or not, she will be stunning. No doubt he fucks her every night. He's a fucked-up man. No doubt, bird. He claims he's Satan himself, but he has weaknesses. Exhibit A: me.

"Not saying I'm like a massive one, but think about it. He's petrified that I'll tell on him. That I'll expose him to his family. And honestly, I don't think what he's doing is that bad. So, what he wants to secure his place as the boss? I'd want the same. Maybe I wouldn't be as drastic, but if taking his father out is the only way to go, so be it," I shook my head. "I can't. He's just not someone that came up to my mind the past two years. Why couldn't I have met him months prior to the wedding? That way, my thoughts would be scattered all over the place, leaving time to forget about him. Now, it seems like there's nothing but him in my head. You get where I'm coming from?" I asked the bird as if he understood anything. To my surprise, he looked to the side and then back to me.

Was he saying no?

I almost laughed at myself. "I'm becoming crazy. He's making me crazy. I just hope I can avoid him. The fact that he's so goddamn good-looking, makes it twenty times harder. Why did I have to overhear him? I could've minded my business and walked away. But no! Miss Brielle Hansley had thought with her ovaries and not her brain. He was too good-looking to look away!" I looked down, inhaling a deep breath. "The sex was good. If I still remember it, it was good. But now that I think about it, I doubt he was drunk," I looked back at the bird, who was still standing on the branch. "There was no way he was drunk. Maybe he had a few drinks, but he was not as drunk as he claimed to be. I just never thought about it. Now it seems bizarre. Why would he want to fuck me like that? He was married!" I laughed. "Thanks, bird. I needed someone to listen. I'll call you Frank. You look like one," I giggled as I closed the window and sat back down on the bed.